Scary incident at the range

For those who still don't understand how this could happen, why the recovered bullet is so long, and why the case is straight-walled, here's a couple pictures that should help:

1653927867366.png

1653927891165.png

Was shooting AR yesterday. About 10 or 11th shot the rifle blew up. I was shooting factory rounds from a reputable manufacturer (bulk box of 1000). At the shot I felt powder hit my face. The bottom was blown out of the magazine and several rounds in the mag were dented/deformed. Bottom of bolt carrier was mangled. Got home and got the bolt back and this is what is left of the case and the projectile that came out has me dumbfounded. Take a look at pics and tell me your thought please. View attachment 368915View attachment 368914View attachment 368913View attachment 368916
Thankfully you're okay !! Looks to me like a 300 blackout bullet...(120 grains). Double check to see what you mashed into the mag. If all were 5.56, I would get with the manufacturer of your ammo.

Was shooting AR yesterday. About 10 or 11th shot the rifle blew up. I was shooting factory rounds from a reputable manufacturer (bulk box of 1000). At the shot I felt powder hit my face. The bottom was blown out of the magazine and several rounds in the mag were dented/deformed. Bottom of bolt carrier was mangled. Got home and got the bolt back and this is what is left of the case and the projectile that came out has me dumbfounded. Take a look at pics and tell me your thought please. View attachment 368915View attachment 368914View attachment 368913View attachment 368916
.300 Blackout in a 5.56 is what I'd guess. That's an awful heavy bullet for a 5.56 if that's what chamber it is.

What could have possible happened??? Let's hear some more suggestions this just keeps getting better.

I'll take a guess, it was a 45-70 cartridge loaded with red dot on a full moon, then the bullet was actually soldered in the neck using a mapp gas torch.

I was thinking that same thing, because of the length of the bullet. Looks like it was "Drawn out" in the barrel. Didn't know that the 30 Blackout woud chamber due to the bullet diameter.
This is SCARY that it could!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You think manufactures would design the cartridge not the chamber all the way so it would not fire.
I would like to see a camera pic inside the barrel

Even after 100posts some members are still guessing on what happened.I think some peole just read the first post and then put their answer in. This is a good thread to be on the "Ignore List".
The frist few posts did give us insite to what happened and gave us thought if we own both a .223 and 300 Blowout. Big SAFETY Incident.
MAKE SURE THAT YOU DON'T MIX THEM!

Even after 100posts some members are still guessing on what happened.I think some peole just read the first post and then put their answer in. This is a good thread to be on the "Ignore List".
The frist few posts did give us insite to what happened and gave us thought if we own both a .223 and 300 Blowout. Big SAFETY Incident.
MAKE SURE THAT YOU DON'T MIX THEM!
Yeah, what you said....)

This happened to me. I loaded my 223 RRA at night while hog hunting and a 300 BO cartridge found its way in the magazine Also had a .300 BO upper.
They both fit the lower charging handle bolt face magazine etc
It did the same thing. Quite frightening, but I knew immediately what had happened
Sent it back to RRA for repair. They said I was one of the few folks that told them what happened vs blaming their rifle
davidu
Thanks for your honest post. What was the result from RRA? Were they able to fix your rifle or just sell you a new one. Seems like all the videos I saw on a 300 BO in a .223 toasted the entire rifle (upper/lower/bolt group).

Awfully long slug? My first impression was that it was a 350 Legend due to the straight wall case. Definitely a case rupture, all of the gas vented back blowing out the BCG. I'm glad you were uninjured. I agree with the above suggestion, contact the manufacturer and see what they will do.

Was at a local gun club a few years ago with some friends having a good day when some guys I didn't know came in and set up to check zero on their scopes for the upcoming deer season. I got interested in the conversation they were having when one the shooters said
He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn no matter how he adjusted his scope. His friends were laughing and making fun of him and one of them commented that if he would trade that 30-06 for a good .270 he might be able to hit something. I immediately got up and approached the guy having problems and asked if I could see his rifle and ammo. I discovered that he had picked up his friends .270 ammo and was shooting it in his 30-06. Not good! Definitely the source of his accuracy problem and was fortunate no one got hurt.

So who was this reputable manufacturer, was it remanufactured as new? You may have mentioned it I may have missed it going over the other posts.

Wow! I would say defective product…. make sure you document carefully.

The elongated bullet extended the bearing surface of the bullet in the barrel which caused pressure to build until it caused a catastrophic failure.

The Ammo and bullet manufacturer both have liability here. I would expect them to replace my firearm and take care of any related medical bills at the least.

Do address this with an Attourney and force them to fix the issue with their processes that allowed this to happen… The next guy may not be as lucky.

Glad you did not get hurt.