Long Range Hunting AR

7aDay

I'm looking to build a long range rifle on the AR platform. I'm looking to keep it as light as possible, but need to be able to reach out there and touch something. So, what do you guys recommend for being able to take elk over 600+? Can I do it on an AR-15 platform or do I need to use the AR-10 platform? Also what caliber?

thanks!

You will be hard pressed to find a round that will deliver the kind of energy required at that range in an AR15 lower! Your going to have to step it up to something bigger, Armilite makes what you want in 300 RSAUM. Or there is another option in 300 win mag but its not on the market yet and its going to run 4 times as much.

If your happy with the 308 winchester or 260 rem there are a lot of options for them as well.

you may want to take a look at the Noreen semi-auto rifles. these aren't going to be light rifles. and get ready to break the piggy!

you may be ok with the .260/.308/7-08 or even a .243 on the AR-10. on the AR-15 the WSSM calibers might work BUT you're going to have mag length issues on both platforms with heavier bullets suitable for that kind of distance and still perform on elk. you definitely won't be overgunned with these platforms!

GAP is suggesting creedmore loads (6 or 6.5) out of their AR platforms. the case allows for a longer bullet to fit in a mag.

Thanks for the responses!

So if I'm understanding this correctly the WSSM will work on the AR 15 platform? However these might be a little small for elk at longer ranges. So, I would be better off looking toward the AR 10. As far as the AR 10 goes am I better of with the .308 or .260 for big game?

Thanks for the responses!

So if I'm understanding this correctly the WSSM will work on the AR 15 platform? However these might be a little small for elk at longer ranges. So, I would be better off looking toward the AR 10. As far as the AR 10 goes am I better of with the .308 or .260 for big game?

I have no first hand knowledge of the wssm or anything bigger than a 264 lbc or 30 rem on the smaller platform. My advice but an LMT MWS.

I'll tell you strait up that the WSSM, while easily the best "long distance" performer in the AR15 platform, is still going to be a bit under gunned on Elk at that "middle distance" you mentioned.
I send my 105 Amax at 3200 +/- and while I wouldn't hesitate to take deer with it...IMO, that's a little bit light for Elk at the range you're looking.
Even the 300 OSSM (Olympic Arms' WSSM in .30 cal) which boasts 30-06 velocities with 150gr bullets... wouldn't be my first choice.

At that range, on that game...the 300SAUM is my absolute first choice, and that's exactly why I bought/assembled mine. However. Neither Armalite, nor DPMS are still making them, and the guys that are...are going to be back ordered 9-12 months.

If weight is a concern, get in better shape or start looking for a different rifle. Nothing about an AR10 style rifle, built specifically for "long" range hunting is going to be light weight.
You're not going to be taking your 600+ yd shot off hand, and you're not going to be pressed for time. Get a comfortable pack, or double shoulder sling. It makes a 20lb rifle feel like 10lbs.
For long range, weight should not be the primary concern.

When it comes to hunting, energy delivery comes down to mass and velocity. How accurately and fast can you send the heaviest bullet.
You're going to need case capacity and barrel length.
If you want to hunt with it at "long" range..then that's one of the few times I would suggest a 24" barrel.
18-20 is fine for punching paper and hitting steel...but for taking critters, you're going to want the added velocity. Especially if said critter is an Elk at 600+

I love my semi automatic rifles. With that being said, if you are looking for a rifle and cartridge combination that will reliably kill elk at 600 yards, I think with very few (and extremely expensive) exceptions you best bet is a bolt gun.

Thanks you guys! I really appreciate the information as I am new to this whole long range AR world.

c_bass16, thanks for the great insight! I better hit the gym if I'm really going to do this. :) This will be my first AR build so I want to make it the best I can with the funds I have, so something as custom as the 300SAUM is probably a project I will save for the future.

Since the WSSM will work on the AR 15 platform and is lethal enough to take deer at 600+ which WSSM would you recommend? I'm assuming I will need custom mags for the WSSM, right? And would you still recommend a 24" barrel?

Also, How much does your 300SAUM weigh????

It wasn't meant to be a way to toot my own horn, it's just the simple fact that AR10 rifles are heavier than most people would like.
The 300 SAUM could be hand for under $1500 without optics...but not in this market. You're probably looking at closer to double now days.

Either the 243 or the 25 WSSM is great for deer...the only draw back of the 25 is bullet options, but if you get one between 100-117 that will shoot good, you'll have it made in the shade.
With the 243, you're going to be limited to the 105gr bullets.

For the WSSM's you can actually get by with 22" barrels and get complete powder burn if you run the heavier bullets.
If you want to go down to the lighter varmint rounds at ultimate speed, then the 24" will get you better bang for your buck.

Gotta remember, the thing that most people love about the WSSM is the speed....and if you're not getting everything out of it that you can, there is probably better choices to make.

I didn't take it as tooting your horn, you were just giving it to me straight which I appreciate :D I'm totally new to this!

So, do you have something other than the 25wssm that you would suggest for the ar 15 platform?

Thanks for all of your insight!

I didn't take it as tooting your horn, you were just giving it to me straight which I appreciate :D I'm totally new to this!

So, do you have something other than the 25wssm that you would suggest for the ar 15 platform?

Thanks for all of your insight!

For taking game at extended ranges?
The 243WSSM
Inside 400, the 6.8 SPC is fine and dandy
Predators, the 204 and the 22-250 from Olympic Arms
short-mid range game, the 300 BLK
Banging long range steel, the 6mmAR Turbo 40 Imp
AR10 Platform on medium game at medium range the .260 or 6.5 Creed
Banging long range steel with the AR10, pretty much any of them depending on bullet choice
For fun, a pistol caliber SBR with a suppressor or like my case, an integrally suppressed pistol cal upper.

You could lose your mind trying to narrow down that box of worms lol.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.