Building AR for long range

We regularly demo 500yd - 600yd hits when using our AR15--- given the ammo the gun likes-- stock POF. Our main focus is the optics being able to go CQB to 500 yds instantly with any "red dot" or any optic. In this case the optic is the unit in front of the scope -- Alpha TARAC. We build those custom to any gun allowing an instant switch to a second point blank range.
It gets interesting when we get to a larger weapon like a 6.5Creed or the .260Rem pictured. We demo a 100yd round than an instant 1000yd round on a man size target. To clarify- we don't demo- the operators are the shooters. A fun note: we were demoing with a sniper team and ran the 100yd impact and jumped to the 1000-- guys in the pit at the 1000-- he shoots three rounds... the pit guy comes back over the radio "you just dropped a 3" group". Made the shooters day, year, still talks about it.
Lucky --- a bit.
Do we consistently engage man size guys at 1000'yds-- every time we go out for demos. We have engaged 1500yd targets regularly- as long as we can see splash. Will the guns shoot sub 3/8moa-- "yes". With factory ammo and more than likely more than one type. Several top manufacturers will produce AR's with these capabilities.
We do press in every extension into the upper. Switch over to a Savage style nut system. Run a "very" adjustable gas block. Of course our barrel. We choose the stiffest upper we can find. I would run our AR10 against most bolt guns.
View attachment 267285View attachment 267286
How do you like the TacomHQ on your AR10 and how far can you shoot with it.Ive been thinking about getting one.

Howdy all. If you are looking at AR's, or considering building and AR for hunting purposes. First item when building your own, is to go for a matching receiver set if possible. This is especially important when building an AR-10 platform, because many uppers and lowers do not match like the AR15 platform, and you will get pretty frustrated trying to get it all to line up. Second is of course going to be the barrel. I have had best results from BlackHole Weaponry(Columbia River Arms). Every single barrel I have gotten from them has delivered top notch results. There are a couple of others like X-Caliber that deliver on their promise of accuracy. Third is the trigger. The drop in cassette triggers are really competitive, Timney is the most consistent, while AR gold is probably the best all around feel. 4th is weight. You can make an AR pretty porky. Pay attention to items that can lighten the load, like titanium components, and carbon fiber handguards, like those available from Brigand Armory. On a matched receiver set in a reasonable price range, Aero Precision does well, with that great Aluminum heat sink barrel nut. 5th: When going through the motions of building, spend a couple of extra bucks on a Superlative Arms adjustable base block. You can really tune the rifle well with that, it is absolutely worth the few extra dollars. 6th: Barrel fit. If the barrel isn't a very tight fit into the receiver, utilize Lock-Tite Green formula #620 (sleeve retainer) (available at Brownells, etc). This one tip will really help tighten up the interface. Oh yes, and don't go cheap on the bolt carrier group. JP

AR-15: I love, absolutely love the 6.5 Grendel, you can get a lot done with it, people are hitting targets at over 1k with them
AR-10: of course 6.5 Creed, but ya know the .260 Remington really sings.
If your going to mess with the 5.56/.223, then yep, just like they mention above, stick with 69 grain bullets and above, 72gr has been the magic for me.

Brigand Arms - Lightweight items
Loctite - Green formula
Syrac Ordnance - adjustable gas block
Blackhole Weaponry - Columbia River Arms - barrels
V-Seven - Ti - lightweight parts
2A armory - lightweight receivers, etc.
AR gold triggers
Just built an AR 15 in 6mm ARC Aero Upper on a Ruger lower with a Timney 2 stage trigger. Had to add a heavy buffer and spring because the stock one was letting the brass hit the deflector hard and bending the case mouths. So far it's shooting great but need to find some Hornady 103gr. ELD X or Berger 105gr. VLD Hunting bullets before hunting season!

I can't say enough good about the Superlative Adjustable Gas Block that I used in an AR10 build. Started out with it turned off and opened it up a little bit at a time until it functioned with anything and everything that I had for it.

I can't say enough good about the Superlative Adjustable Gas Block that I used in an AR10 build. Started out with it turned off and opened it up a little bit at a time until it functioned with anything and everything that I had for it.
I just did a 6XC, the superlative adjustable gas block worked well. I started with a medium Palma taper barrel cut to 20 inches. Drilled the gas port for rifle length.

i'm starting to collect adjustable blocks for my builds. with the ammo shortage, i'm not shooting as much. so i've been spending that money getting each gun the way i want it.

How do you like the TacomHQ on your AR10 and how far can you shoot with it.Ive been thinking about getting one.
Hello sir- to say I am not bias ... well a bit of an untruth. As I am TACOMHQ.
Check out Rex's video on our barrels. The AR he is talking about was shot by 3 different shooters, 5 bullet weights, 3 manufacturers. Four of the different bullet weights fell into the exact same 1/2moa group- as I recall a 16round group. The fifth bullet weight was the lightest of the bunch and a high end hunting round. It printed a second 1/2moa group 3/4moa away from the primary group at 2:00.
Their basic impression "this ain't right"... as this was not a common event in any of the three shooters experience.
Here's the deal: if our barrel does not match what you have and reasonably expect we will buy it back. (Assuming good smith work and good base rifling).
How consistent or predictable? - See the Mirage video where they are breaking the barrel in at 1mile... We just had a group do a first round, first shot out of the barrel hit at 1.5miles... (yep lucky but... to the point on the predictable side and forgiveness). Before someone calls BS- It was a Desert Tech .375. They had their numbers and switched barrels-- says a lot about the system.
Give us a call...

Big thing I have found with hunting with an AR is cold weather. That 3am coyote setup in the middle of February in northern Wisconsin or a snowy whitetail hunt with a high of 20 with a 30mph wind out of the north. They can get stupid cold with aluminum free float tubes and what not on them. Just something to keep in mind if someone is planning on hunting northern states with one or when picking some parts. That being said they have been my main small game guns since 1995. Seldom miss a squirrel inside 200 yds.

I was at the range today shooting my 6.5 creedmoor. I can say with confidence that Wilson Combat super sniper barrels are good to go. If I can clean up the flyers this rifle will be very easily a 1000 plus yard rifle.

Attachments

• F5813342-3F9A-4560-BE66-2BAA8D5BC3D4.jpeg
    F5813342-3F9A-4560-BE66-2BAA8D5BC3D4.jpeg
    730.5 KB · Views: 109