Savage/Remage

mrb1982

I have been reading about the Savage/Remage systems. Not really sure what to think about it. I have a lot of questions. I figured this was the only place I would get the answers I was looking for.

Do you have to true the action before you put the new barrel on? Seems like you would pretty much have to.

Can you use a Savage replacement barrel on a Remington/Remage conversion, or is it a specific system that is a little different?

These are the first questions I have. I am sure more will come to me as I learn more about it, but I thank you all for your replies in advance. I am trying to become educated about if I think this is useful or not. I tend to like these projects, and it doesn't seem to be extremely difficult to understand, I am just curious how it all works I guess.

I see what you are saying.

So if it was a "Remage" it would have to be a prefit made specially for that, and if it was a "Savage" it would have to be made for that, correct? No interchanging.

Interesting concept.

Also need to be carefull about buying a "trued" action for a Remage. Lots of times the factory threads are recut making them slightly larger and the standard factory threads that come on a pre-fit remage barrell will no longer work. If you want a trued type action get a custom action like a Stiller or something.

Correct. you will need the tools to change the barrel out and go/no-go guages to set the head space.
Sounds like a lot but it is actually pretty easy.

I can see where this would be highly advantageous for the person who either shoots competitively, or has a large number of rifles. If I work out the math at all, by the time I buy the tools, and the increased cost on the barrel, it doesn't really amount to a massive difference in cost. But if you are someone who wants to do "a few" or "multiple" or "many" or a competitive shooter who goes through barrels faster and/or switches barrels for caliber, this could be extremely efficient. The wrenches aren't bad, but I don't have a vice, that is where it would start to add up on cost.

I f you factor in only having to have one scope, one stock, one trigger for multiple barrels/cartridges it becomes very cost effective.

I don't use this system but I do have some rem 700 made into switch barrels by my gun smith. this skips the need for go and no go gauges, just need barrel vise and action wrench

hmmm

So I don't have to true the action? Does it then have the same "negative" affects that having a non-trued action does with a conventional build?

With that said, theoretically one could buy an action, prefit barrel, nut and lug, action and nut wrench, and assemble a barreled action. Is this accurate?

So I don't have to true the action? Does it then have the same "negative" affects that having a non-trued action does with a conventional build?

>> Yes, if the action needed truing. Fact is a lot of them don't and if you just purchases a custom action like a Stiller, it would, most likely, be good to go and your resale value would be better than a used trued Rem action. Better yet just get a Savage action, they usually shoot great with just the factory action. Besides MOST of the accuracy in a rifle has to do with the quality of the barrel and how well the chamber is cut. You can get very well respected pre-fit barrel makers that will cut you a chamber in a Bartlein cut rifle barrel. It just about doesn't get any better than that. Check out bugholes.com.

If I were not getting a custom action for a remage build, I personally would get a Savage action.

With that said, theoretically one could buy an action, prefit barrel, nut and lug, action and nut wrench, and assemble a barreled action. Is this accurate?

>> Yes. What you are really getting here is the ability to change the barrel yourself when you finally shoot out the current barrel or just decide that the caliber isn't for you and want to try something else.

The barrels do not cost more, actually the opposite.

Criterion sells pre-fit barrels for savage, chambered, for $300. That is less than most barrel blanks from Krieger, Brux, Broughton, ect....

Yes, you have to buy a $30 action wrench. But, you don't have to pay a gunsmith $250+ to cut, crown, thread, chamber and fit the barrel to your action. Here is a break down of cost with links to buy them, assuming you have an action and stock, and just want to rebarrel...

Barrel nut Wrench, shipped for less than $35:

Wheeler Savage Barrel Wrench

Criterion Pre-Fit and Chambered Savage Barrel, starting at $300, more if you want fluting/bead blast/muzzle thread/muzzle brake, ect:

Criterion-Savage – Northland Shooters Supply

Or if you want a different option, here is McGowen for $325:

Savage Pre-fit Barrels - McGowen Precision Barrels

Or, X-caliber for $330:

X-Caliber - Savage Pre-Fit

Go/No Go gauges, $50 each, $100 for a set:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/6...ton-308-winchester-338-federal-358-winchester

And with the go/no go gauges, if you have a fired case that was fired from a chamber that was in spec, you can use a few fired brass to set headspace, so if you so choose that saves you $100.

But even if you don't, the total cost if you just get a basic stainless barrel, including purchasing go/no go gauges, is $435. Your not going to talk a smith into rebarreling your rifle, barrel included, for that price. Plus, you now have the tools and knowledge to put your own together, so if you want another rifle 2 years from now, you can do that very easily. And if you buy a Savage target action, you can build a custom rifle for VERY reasonable. Cheaper than most factory long range rifles actually.

I can see where this would be highly advantageous for the person who either shoots competitively, or has a large number of rifles. If I work out the math at all, by the time I buy the tools, and the increased cost on the barrel, it doesn't really amount to a massive difference in cost. But if you are someone who wants to do "a few" or "multiple" or "many" or a competitive shooter who goes through barrels faster and/or switches barrels for caliber, this could be extremely efficient. The wrenches aren't bad, but I don't have a vice, that is where it would start to add up on cost.

the fun factor of doing it yourself is what attracted me. Started building AR's and progressed to the barrel nut clan.

Building a savage switchbarrel is fun. You basically have a new rifle for the cost of a prefit barrel. Takes me about 10 minutes to change out a barrel.

Another advantage is no gunsmith. I have customs and will have more built. But when you start that process you better plan on a year before you get it. I know I can put $3500 down and have a 1/4 MOA rifle but can I do it myself for a third of the price.

With a savage one morning you could wake up and decide you want a 6mm dasher or a 6.5 creedmoor or a 6.5 saum or any number of cartridges and contact numerous on line suppliers of savage prefits and a week later you have your new barrel. lots of fun

hmmm

there are lots of half MOA rifles out there that have never been trued. It is nice but not necessary.

If you are going to have a custom built you might as well have it trued. With the overall cost the truing won't amount to much.

You can do it without a barrel vise. Just need the action wrench and barrel nut wrench. You just have secure the action wrench in a normal vise.

and with a couple of pieces of hardwood you can make a regular bench vice into a barrel vice.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts