Savage/Remage

If you are.a remington guy you will be appalled at the cycling of a savage action. Cocking effort is ridiculous. The accutrigger and its safety mode is a.real PITA

Well it really depends on the Savage. I have ones that cycle just fine, and recently I had an Accutrigger one which was really a problem. I replaced the trigger with a Rifle Basix, problem solved. I'm not sure I believe in the "timing" thing with the Savage. At least not if you take the Accutrigger blade reset out of the equation.

I've built a number of Savages, all shoot .2-.4 MOA with Shilen barrels. I'm in the middle of my first Temage build (McGowan). For the Savages, I see no need to true. If you require better than .2-.4 MOA, go ahead and try. But 5 builds, all my guns fall in this range, no truing.

For this Remage it is a 338 Edge, long range intent, so I just went straight to a Stiller action vs a factory donor. I did NOT want to pay a gunsmith, and as others have said truing typically involves changing the threads.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.