Savage Precision .338 Lapua

Mine is actually a Rem 700. I tried LRT with 250 and 300 SMKs. Got good speed just wouldn't group. My post was meant more for the load than for what gun. Always heard good about the Savage 338s.
I have lrt also to try in 300wn, 264wm and 338lm. I haven't loaded any yet. What parameters were you using (case length, coal, ctbo, jump, lead)?

I have the 110 FCP that has a 112 Target barrel on it now. 90.8gr N570 for right at 2800 FPS with 300 Bergers and Peterson brass.

22" CF barrel in the works, because these aren't fun to carry anymore.

In my Precision Elite I used what I could get here 285,and 300A Tips,it seemed to like the 285's a little more. In the 24" Precision I have only used the 300 A Tips. Velocity between the 30" and the 24" was just like the 2 guys I read there story about Chopping of 1" at a time and recrowning,it was gust a attempt to see velocity difference. My 30 " got 2860 and my 24" gets 2754. I will go with the 24 verses 6 less pounds,and the weight didn't affect the FELT recoil a darn. The problem with experimenting with different loads in my area is lack of Powder,you go to the sporting goods store and one would think that they only catered to the .223 crowd. Hated the cartridge in the mid to late 60's and disliked the rifle even more. I was made for one thing only. Now if it has to be .223 Bullets the build me a 22/250 with a 1in 7 twist and I;d be in heaven. But at the late part of my life I love the boommmers!! The only powder that has been available here was Retumbo at $59.00 a pound and LRT at $30.00 a pound at 70 loads per pound dose not take a math wizard to figure it out. I did try some Mag Pro got very decent groups but it averaged 200 fps slower despite what the manuel read. Pete

I have lrt also to try in 300wn, 264wm and 338lm. I haven't loaded any yet. What parameters were you using (case length, coal, ctbo, jump, lead)?
Peterson brass trimmed to 2.714, 215 primer, 300g SMK seated to 3.748 which is a .040 jump. I went from 95 to 102 grains. Highest velocity was 2832 at 102g but couldn't get ES below 30fps at any charge. Best group was .8" at 100yd with 102g. Leave all specs the same and put H1000 or even H4831 in and shoot bugholes with solid low ES and SDs. I didn't see the need to go any further with the LRT when it shoots so good with others. I'll happily wear out this one as is lol.

In my Precision Elite I used what I could get here 285,and 300A Tips,it seemed to like the 285's a little more. In the 24" Precision I have only used the 300 A Tips. Velocity between the 30" and the 24" was just like the 2 guys I read there story about Chopping of 1" at a time and recrowning,it was gust a attempt to see velocity difference. My 30 " got 2860 and my 24" gets 2754. I will go with the 24 verses 6 less pounds,and the weight didn't affect the FELT recoil a darn. The problem with experimenting with different loads in my area is lack of Powder,you go to the sporting goods store and one would think that they only catered to the .223 crowd. Hated the cartridge in the mid to late 60's and disliked the rifle even more. I was made for one thing only. Now if it has to be .223 Bullets the build me a 22/250 with a 1in 7 twist and I;d be in heaven. But at the late part of my life I love the boommmers!! The only powder that has been available here was Retumbo at $59.00 a pound and LRT at $30.00 a pound at 70 loads per pound dose not take a math wizard to figure it out. I did try some Mag Pro got very decent groups but it averaged 200 fps slower despite what the manuel read. Pete
Powder charges and types that don't have the gas volume to push bullets down a longer barrel will not have much gain with longer barrels. Pressure will not have anything to do with (or as much) velocity depending on bore volume.

Same for me with magpro. It pressured up quickly and it was slow but accurate.

Yes Mag Pro was accurate but just like now ,none out there. Went out today and was a lot better,took my homemade barrel cooler along and seemed to help quit a bit, Just shot 2 shot groups as was using different seating lengths and my tuner,Finally on last 2, I got them touching and velocity was 2802 wit a sd of 5.43 by adjusting tuner down 1 notch. BUT that's not saying it will do the same next week. Going to be too hot here tomorrow,Monday and Tuesday hope it cools down for Wednesday ,Put 30 through it this morning and was a lot nicer packing that 11 # er up the hill than that 18#er, Pete

Changed the seating Depth a little,not sure if that was the difference i more velocity or the temp or because it was humid,more than likely the latter, as was about 50 feet faster than the norm, Pete