savage 338 lapua

my 338 Lapua is running 2635 fps with a 280 grain bullet and 82.4 grains of retumbo, am seriously considering a rebarrel to get another 200 fps.

my 338 Lapua is running 2635 fps with a 280 grain bullet and 82.4 grains of retumbo, am seriously considering a rebarrel to get another 200 fps.
None of this makes sense unless the chamber isnt to spec or something. Im running 2850 with 12.3 gr more powder(YIKES) than a lapua in an edge. Those two are considered to be close to ballistic twins so something is OFF and it should be fixable. Id sure like to know how tight that chamber is. The only logical conclusion is that the chamber is tiny and is causing low vel/high pressure.
Be nice to KNOW a once fired cases H2O capacity and dimensions next to a custom or even rem once fired case. That should be a redneck/DIY way to look into the issue.

If someone with a non savage 338 Lapua using Lapua brass could get a h2o capacity measurement and post it i could compare it to one of my fired cases. Toddc, would (should) getting a couple threads cut off then rechambered fix the small chamber problem if that is the issue?

If someone with a non savage 338 Lapua using Lapua brass could get a h2o capacity measurement and post it i could compare it to one of my fired cases. Toddc, would (should) getting a couple threads cut off then rechambered fix the small chamber problem if that is the issue?
Its a savage. If the chamber is too narrow yeah needs smithwork. If its just real tight depthwise then just adjust it at the nut.You can actually play with the headspace on a savage in very small amounts which can have some interesting power and accuracy effects. Id like to hear how they act around no-go/ go gauges and measure a chamber cast also. Chamber cast is cheap and would be best really. Stuffs all over the web. I just cant see a lapua being that far behind an edge. The 2850 load is pretty standard for a 30" tube. How long are the savage tubes? Its not horrible overbore anyway that it needs the extra length too badly. Heck most 338 ultras with 26 inch tubes are generally reported as being 2700-2750 fps guns when pushed.

They are 26" + brake, i will see if my uncle will do a chamber cast for me.
Be cool to look at. Another interesting thought is this:
You can get a quick idea with scotch tape on the back of the case. If a factory shell will close with no resistance with the tape the chamber may be over. Conversely if the bolt wont close at all it may be an indication its under size. I wouldnt start grinding on anything without real measurements but it would be neat to see what it does.

Not totally scientific but Ive screwed together a few that way.

i have some 250 grain hornady factory loads that i will try putting some scotch tape on tomorrow (technically today in mtn time).

Google says 114 on h20 cap. Take that with a grain of salt it is the web abd I only perused one site. If its way off though Something maybe is up.

according to google i am seeing anywhere from 112.5-155 grains of h2o using Lapua brass and around 116 grains with hornady brass, i will compare both.

my 6x fired Lapua brass measure 114.9 grains of h20 tot he top of the neck and the hornady had 118.? grains to the top of the neck. Not sure what to think.......

Tried the scotch tape yet? With the h2o being high it may be excess headspace for that round. Luckily thats an ez fix with a savage. I would get the chamber set to right past min saami and see what happens.

Riley..

What the displacement difference between Lapua Brass and Hornady Brass is telling you is the structural differences between the cases, in other words, the Hornady cases may have thinner heads or be thinner in the belt area.

Are the cases clean inside??? Did you look in there?

I must have an odd 338. I've never had a tight case upon extraction, no bolt marks, nothing. It's shoot, extract and shoot. Thats with Lapua brass and the dreaded Privi brass. 250 SMK's, but then, I don't reload 4 times either.

I have noted that Sierra don't recommend 300 SMK's for the twist rate of the 11-111.

Riley..

What the displacement difference between Lapua Brass and Hornady Brass is telling you is the structural differences between the cases, in other words, the Hornady cases may have thinner heads or be thinner in the belt area.

Are the cases clean inside??? Did you look in there?

I must have an odd 338. I've never had a tight case upon extraction, no bolt marks, nothing. It's shoot, extract and shoot. Thats with Lapua brass and the dreaded Privi brass. 250 SMK's, but then, I don't reload 4 times either.

I have noted that Sierra don't recommend 300 SMK's for the twist rate of the 11-111.
The hornady brass actually held 122.?, i will check with scotch tape tomorrow. I have loaded my Lapua brass 6 times. Cases were clean as a whistle.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts