Savage 338 Lapua

sniperjwt

Got this a couple Months back and I had yet to shoot it until this past Saturday.
It is the Savage 111 Long Range Hunter in 338 Lapua. Tried a couple loads and am impressed so far. Shooting the Berger 250g OTM Tactical bullets in front of Retumbo powder. Have a Hawke Sidewinder scope on it and I like it but I don't have enough windage. Not sure how to get it to work but am open to ideas. Recoil was not as bad as I was expecting. Anyone else have one of these that shoots well? Here is a target at 100yds will do more testing when I get the scope figured out.

5E2FFA83-2188-4AF4-8916-1A3FBA4594C2-1323-000000FB60D0495F_zps276b33ec.jpg

8F4F0B51-47D0-4D24-B8B1-3058E1C6ED02-1323-000000FB55698480_zpsfa10686c.jpg

can we have more information on the rifle scope?
Did the rifle come with 20 MOA base or is a flat?
what is the scope height?

The gun come with the 20MOA base. Not sure of the height of it because I am not home right now but it does not seem to be excessively high. I had tried this scope on another gun and it had the same problem of not having enough windage adjustment. The only thing that is consistent between the two guns I tried it on is the scope itself and the rings. Would it make a difference how the rings are put on? Do you think it would make a difference to flip the rings to where they tighten down on the other side? Never ran into this before so not exactly sure what to do.

Most rings are 0 MOA "with some exceptions", and don't make any difference, when you flip them as you mentioned it will, some times, make an alignment difference but not a vertical difference. Do you know what's the total vertical adjustment on the scope you're using? just curious.

Most rings are 0 MOA "with some exceptions", and don't make any difference, when you flip them as you mentioned it will, some times, make an alignment difference but not a vertical difference. Do you know what's the total vertical adjustment on the scope you're using? just curious.

I have enough up and down its horizontal that I don't have enough adjustment

My bad! Sorry!

What I've done in the pass "in fact not too long ago" I used the Signature Rings with the adjustable inserts.

Count the total number of clicks that you have for horizontal or windage adjustment
then divide it by two and center your reticle that way. After that, using the signature
rings you have to move the inserts to bring to reticle to the center of the target. You'll know what I'm talking about after watching the video below. That should give
you more than sufficient windage adjustment.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BNDPNC4ELM]Signature Rings from Burris - YouTube[/ame]

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts