Savage needs to buy a scale or fire attorneys

I have looked at the new straight pull Savage.. it's basically a Feym patent in the modern era. I personally would not trust this gun's locking mechanism, but it is a safe locking mech until the stem that keeps the ball bearings in place fractures as with the Feym back in WWII. This is my personal opinion. Please no hate. What I was expecting was basically a K-31 Swiss 7.5X55 action. this surprised me. that is all I have to say on the subject.
WWII technology, know-how, safety, legal, etc., requirements are NOT the same as today.

I've hunted wilderness areas in CO since 1982 & the parking lot is over 7000 feet in elevation & just goes up from there, all the way to 14000 feet if you so desire. I routinely hunt in the 10000 feet range & I've never had a rifle that weighed, when fully loaded under 11 lbs. I've been backpack hunting since the mid 1990's & am using my third different rifle & it seems every time I change rifles, the weight goes up. This past October I hunted that same wilderness, with a backpack & my third different rifle weighed north of 15 lbs. But I might add, I'm young, agile, & spry, I'll turn 64 this April. Wah, wah, wah, everyone or most everyone complains about too heavy, need the next great thing in lightweight equipment. My loaded pack for 1-2 weeks of hunting, not including my rifle, weighs over 80 lbs. Loose some weight & do more exercising, as some one else mentioned. Nuff said, keep your powder dry.
I'm in my thirties and I'm serious about fitness
Where I hunt shots can be 800 yards or 80 feet, I've found that (aside from sucking to carry around all day) my heavy rifles are terrible for quick maneuverability and off hand shots, that's why I've settled on that 9-10lb range all set up.

But you sir are a beast💪
I hope I'm running around with an 80 pound pack in thirty years!

I'm in my thirties and I'm serious about fitness
Where I hunt shots can be 800 yards or 80 feet, I've found that (aside from sucking to carry around all day) my heavy rifles are terrible for quick maneuverability and off hand shots, that's why I've settled on that 9-10lb range all set up.

But you sir are a beast💪
I hope I'm running around with an 80 pound pack in thirty years!

Ok, let me clarify a couple of things, I don't want to be a deceiver or not tell the whole truth. My heavy pack is on my pack into where I'm gonna hunt, which can be anywhere from 5 or 6 miles to 12-14 miles. After I get to where ever I'm gonna hunt, my "day" pack only weighs 55 lbs, plus or minus. Which by most standards on what I read here is way too much! But, according to my brother & my nephew who're the only 2 people I've hunted with, I mostly hunted by myself, which is another no no. Anyway, they've always said I way over pack & I probably do. But I've always believed that, I'd rather have it & not need it than need it & not have it, & I try to prepare for the worst possible senario, to be able to survive if things go really bad, weather, accident, or etc. That's just me & I've just never believed in the fad of "lighter is better." I'm not a beast by any means, 5'10" & usually around 180 when i start my hunt.

I am a long time savage fan and currently own 6 savage rifles. They are an innovative company so of course was not surprised to see them launch a line of straight pull rifles

All excitement ended when I saw the 22" barreled straight pull rifle weighing in at 11lbs. This follows the launch of the new Renegauge shotgun, that seems to have an innovative action, also weighs in over 10 lbs. I think randy wakeman referred to it as the worst shotgun he had reviewed in recent memory

Just don't see how such a strong engineering company can be so far out of step with competitive products or user preference. If it's the attorneys demanding that degree of robustness in an action driving the weight they need to retain new counsel

Anyone else feel similarly about these two new products? Ideally savage is processing the his feedback
How do you make a shotgun weigh 10 lbs? I carried an M1 and an M14 and they weighed about that but had half a tree plus up to 20 rounds on them. It sounds like Savage wants a new BAR!

Alright Texas
Come pack that heavy rifle around at 8000 feet in the northwest.
I'll routinely climb 1500' of vertical and cover up to 8 miles a day chasing elk.
9lbs scoped is the heaviest I'll go

When you get old even that will seem heavy. Scope & mounts adds a lot of weight to the package, too. A good workout program helps a lot, but can't completely cure old age. I do know this, though - taking a few pounds off the torso will do wonders for making the rifle & pack feel lighter when going up the mountain.

My lightweight hunting rig weighs in at 10 lbs.
Mine were all 10-12 lbs until last year when I got a Kimber 84L Hunter in .30-06 that I had re-chambered to .30 Gibbs.

.30 GIBBS weight.jpg

The weight is a non concern for me. At 70 I still hunt all day at 8.5-10K with G1 Sendero 300WM which is likely few ounces heavier:eek:. I cull my pack for lightest gear so I can carry more food to carry rifle!😂🤣 I prefer heavy shooting platform and manage weight elsewhere. Including myself! Huge trekking pole advocate which helps with whatever weight you are carrying. looking forward to getting one in hands for feel and balance. This could be real interesting swap barrel similar to the TC Dimension.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.