Savage Model 340 build

Hicks

I know, I know, but still. This is my Grandma's deer rifle which I inherited many years ago, and I'd like to do something with it rather than have it sit in my safe. It's a Savage model 340 in .30-30. I've been thinking of re-barreling it, but I have no practical experience with Savages AT ALL. That being said I'm contemplating a 6mm/.30-30 build on the action. This seems like a good way to have a usable, sort of LR rifle which could get some good velocity with the right barrel.

Hicks

Hicks,

That being said I'm contemplating a 6mm/.30-30 build on the action.

Far be it from me to tell you what to do or in this case, what not to do but realize that this action relies on only one lug. It is a simple, low pressure hunting rifle designed to be inexpensive to manufacture and sell.

I suggest that you leave it alone with it's original chamber and be grateful that you have a piece of your grandmother's life still useable. Take it hunting and relive some of her life as you do so.

Regards.

H, the 340 is going for $200-500. Don't know if they're a collector or not, but it was your grandma's it's worth keeping. I have a rifle of my grandfathers that is quite old, but not very valuable. I had it Cerakoted and I refinished the stock to keep it in great shape for my grandkids. With a barrelnut they should be easy to re barrel, but save the original for its final retirement.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.