Which Savage model for a build?

B
So your 111 has grooves cut in it for a mag box. I wonder if a person could get a longer mag box and cut the grooves in the action. My 111 port is to long to cut grooves for a 110 box. I have had 2 of the 111 and ran into this aftermarket stock problem. I need to quit buying the 111 that takes clips then

I don't want to misconstrue what you're asking me but perhaps this might help >>> http://www.varminthunters.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-29828.htmlhttp://www.varminthunters/forum/archive/index.php/t-29828.html

McMillan will inlet for you. I prefer the blind mag and have an HTG edge fill for my 280. Unbedded will print sub 1/2moa. Worst case is savage stocks are so hard to find you'd probably have an easy sale if needed.

A manners eh1 would be tits to have, wish I had known the difference at the time. Just don't know if manners inlets for savage, I'm sure they do.

Go with a Stevens m200. Center feed, non Accutrigger, not extremely pricey. I built a nice 338-06 on it. If you look at Savage's, you will notice the different models are denoted on the barrels, not the action.

Since you just want a donor action, go to the local pawn shops and find a center feed Savage 7mm mag, should be all over the place with a relatively low round count.

The little things to look for is flat back vs round back, you'll need to know which you want for when you get a scope rail. Triggers, Accutrigger vs standard to be exact. If you want the Accutrigger then go right ahead.

Find a pawn shop that will let you take the stock off. If the magazine stays connected to the receiver, it's stagger. Stays in the stock, it's center feed.

I took a stagger feed and milled the back of magazine well out and it's now able to take cip mags, giving me 3.6" for my 300 WM. There's a bunch of options out there for Savage builds.

SHM

McMillan will inlet for you. I prefer the blind mag and have an HTG edge fill for my 280. Unbedded will print sub 1/2moa. Worst case is savage stocks are so hard to find you'd probably have an easy sale if needed.

A manners eh1 would be tits to have, wish I had known the difference at the time. Just don't know if manners inlets for savage, I'm sure they do.

I heard that they stopped inletting for LA Savages recently. They did just release the minichassis for the SA so they are definitely inletting for those.

Go with a Stevens m200. Center feed, non Accutrigger, not extremely pricey. I built a nice 338-06 on it. If you look at Savage's, you will notice the different models are denoted on the barrels, not the action.

Since you just want a donor action, go to the local pawn shops and find a center feed Savage 7mm mag, should be all over the place with a relatively low round count.

The little things to look for is flat back vs round back, you'll need to know which you want for when you get a scope rail. Triggers, Accutrigger vs standard to be exact. If you want the Accutrigger then go right ahead.

Find a pawn shop that will let you take the stock off. If the magazine stays connected to the receiver, it's stagger. Stays in the stock, it's center feed.

I took a stagger feed and milled the back of magazine well out and it's now able to take cip mags, giving me 3.6" for my 300 WM. There's a bunch of options out there for Savage builds.

SHM

All good info. Also keep in mind that some stock makers & bottom metals won't work with the bottom (trigger guard mounted) bolt release. That seems to be changing ever so slowly though.

Finding a stock for any configuration isn't really an issue if you don't mind a wait. Kevin at Stockade Gunstocks, among others, can build you a custom stock for whatever action you have. All it takes is a phone call. Not sure if their stuff can be set up for a factory detachable box mag, but they have their own bottom metal if you want to go that route vs internal.

I had them build me a Tactical / Prairie Dog Special for a round back, top bolt release, centerfeed 110 with their bottom metal that takes AI-style SSSF mags because I couldn't find a stock I liked that was available for my setup.

If you go this route, action-wise, my stock is now available. Feel free to PM me for details if you are interested.

Kevin is also one of those Savage gurus!

i have a stockade coyote hunter on it and love it. at the time i bought it years ago they didn't inlet for the clip version. they did however inlet it for the mag box. i couldn't find a mag box that was a little longer to cut slots in my action to fit. a few shims in the bottom lifts the staggered mag box just perfect to work without attaching to action. hs precision inlets for clip version and i have that one on my short action savage. i didn't buy one for the long action because the staggered feed mag box lets me seat bullets longer than my clip. the only problem i have ran into with any aftermarket stock is that my 111 action port on bottom is longer and doesn't have slots cut in it for a mag box. the savage staggered feed box fits completely inside my port and the tabs dont reach the ends. i have bought a few other style mag boxes but all seam to be to short to reach either end for slots. it works great in the stockade stock inletting but doesnt work well in the choate stock to much cut out on the sides lets it move around.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.