HELP...which caliber for a new build??

Dust270WSM

I am going to build a new deer rifle and was wondering what caliber u guys and galls would choose?

It will be used on deer at ranges from 100 yards to 600 yards. I am debating on a 270WSM, 280 Ackley Improved or 7mm Mag. Our deer range in size of 80 pound does to 200 pound bucks. So I probably be shooting a 140 grain Bergers.

I plan on getting a savage action and putting a custom barrel and stock on it. I reload so I want a flat accurate shooter.

I would stay away from the 270 wsm in favor of the 7mm wsm. But the other two would also be a very good choice. All will have plenty of power and are actually quite similar in performance. When shooting bergers you will want plenty of magazine room to seat bullets close to lands and out of the case.

I am going to build a new deer rifle..
It will be used on deer at ranges from 100 yards to 600 yards....
I reload so I want a flat accurate shooter.

The 270 WSM will launch 140g' bullets at 3050 fps with ease from a 24" tube. You could always load it hotter. This is just my best accuracy. I don't know about the Savage mag box but the Winchester box is plenty long to
seat the bullets into the lands.

My Winny Featherweight provides great accuracy, always sub MOA. Don't see why a nicely stocked Savage couldn't do the same. Just beware tupperware stocks are junk.

JM .02

7mm mag. Use the 168 Berger or 162 a-max. You should get 3050 -3100 fps from a 26" barrel.
They will easily fit in a Rem 700 long action, seated right out to touch the lands.

Stu.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.