Which Savage model for a build?

bryanfields

Hey, I'd like to use a Savage 110 or 111 action to build a 6.5x284 Norma. I've built a couple guns off Savages before, but because of the type they were, I could not find a stock anywhere for them. Yes, I checked Boyd's. I had to buy a Choate and get dbm from dbi. They were older models that didn't have the accu-trigger, but they did have a detachable metal magazine. I night them from Jim at Northland. SOOOO... IS THERE A PARTICULAR MODEL SAVAGE THAT MOST GUYS USE? HELP ME PLEASE.

The model that says this on the side of it... :D:D:D

D197293D-38D3-4843-B1F8-114565E37A31_zpsrkwndmgj.jpg

Hey, I'd like to use a Savage 110 or 111 action to build a 6.5x284 Norma. I've built a couple guns off Savages before, but because of the type they were, I could not find a stock anywhere for them. Yes, I checked Boyd's. I had to buy a Choate and get dbm from dbi. They were older models that didn't have the accu-trigger, but they did have a detachable metal magazine. I night them from Jim at Northland. SOOOO... IS THERE A PARTICULAR MODEL SAVAGE THAT MOST GUYS USE? HELP ME PLEASE.

Excellent choice! Both should serve you extremely well. Most of my builds are with the older 110 action and all of them are quite the shooter. I have 111F that I might re-barrel this year but not sure of chambering as of yet.

My last build was http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/my-budget-270-ai-97745/ in Savage 110 LA with Bell and Carlson stock 30" Lilja barrel and JP Enterprise Beenie Cooley MB. It does better than 1/2 MOA at 936 yards with 175 Matrix VLD at 2993 FPS, "IF" this not behind the trigger does his job.

Good luck on your build and keep us posted.

I built a 7SS on a model 16 which is a pkg. with a scope for around $500. You could use the 116 (long action) to build your 6.5-284 and part out everything but the action. I put a Boyds thumbhole on mine and it shoots .2's........Rich
7SS Savage.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to use a 110 or 111, but my specific question is which particular model has the most available aftermarket parts? Savage has so many configurations it is difficult to know which one to pick. They have top loading, detachable magazine, round back, flat back, top bolt release, etc etc etc. The particular type I used last time was an older model xp3 and I could not find a stock. Had to pay $290 extra for bottom metal. This is a budget build and I'm trying to tally my costs before beginning.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to use a 110 or 111, but my specific question is which particular model has the most available aftermarket parts? Savage has so many configurations it is difficult to know which one to pick. They have top loading, detachable magazine, round back, flat back, top bolt release, etc etc etc. The particular type I used last time was an older model xp3 and I could not find a stock. Had to pay $290 extra for bottom metal. This is a budget build and I'm trying to tally my costs before beginning.

The (G)XP3s are build with Savage 10/110,11/111 actions. having said that see notes, >>> https://www.stockysstocks.com/tech-support/.

As previously noted, most of mine were 110s/111s non-centerfeed and blind magazine.

FYSA, Savage Performance - Pacific Tool and Gauge

savage police models come with hs precision stocks. good shooters out of the box. all mine are sub moa with factory barrels or aftermarket. i am shooting handloads.

savage police models come with hs precision stocks. good shooters out of the box. all mine are sub moa with factory barrels or aftermarket. i am shooting handloads.

i have a police model with hs precision stock. darn good shooter. i paid $550 for it used put 308 bl and scope on it. love the stock it has a clip. i also have a 300wm model 111 package that comes with a clip. i had to loose the clip for an aftermarket stock. i believe they make stocks for it now. i believe the only difference in a 110 and a 111 is 110 is blind staggered feed and 111 is straight feed clip. my 111 doesnt have the grooves cut in the action to install a magazine box. i installed the magazine box in the stoxk and set it to right height works very well. this is all pre accutrigger so not sure about the newer actions.

i have a police model with hs precision stock. darn good shooter. i paid $550 for it used put 308 bl and scope on it. love the stock it has a clip. i also have a 300wm model 111 package that comes with a clip. i had to loose the clip for an aftermarket stock. i believe they make stocks for it now. i believe the only difference in a 110 and a 111 is 110 is blind staggered feed and 111 is straight feed clip. my 111 doesnt have the grooves cut in the action to install a magazine box. i installed the magazine box in the stoxk and set it to right height works very well. this is all pre accutrigger so not sure about the newer actions.

Both my 110 and 111 LA are staggered and blind feed.

Both my 110 and 111 LA are staggered and blind feed.

So your 111 has grooves cut in it for a mag box. I wonder if a person could get a longer mag box and cut the grooves in the action. My 111 port is to long to cut grooves for a 110 box. I have had 2 of the 111 and ran into this aftermarket stock problem. I need to quit buying the 111 that takes clips then

Finding a stock for any configuration isn't really an issue if you don't mind a wait. Kevin at Stockade Gunstocks, among others, can build you a custom stock for whatever action you have. All it takes is a phone call. Not sure if their stuff can be set up for a factory detachable box mag, but they have their own bottom metal if you want to go that route vs internal.

I had them build me a Tactical / Prairie Dog Special for a round back, top bolt release, centerfeed 110 with their bottom metal that takes AI-style SSSF mags because I couldn't find a stock I liked that was available for my setup.

If you go this route, action-wise, my stock is now available. Feel free to PM me for details if you are interested.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.