Savage build

We are still deciding on stock choices ( factory,Orynx chassis, or MDT chassis). I started looking at 7mm-08 yesterday but not sure if it would be to much recoil to start off with. It will probably get a new nut and lug also. I'm hoping for one hole groups or close to it but that all takes time.
A 7-08 will have no more recoil than a 65 Needmoor.

No it would be a hunting/ range rifle. I would only be shooting it bench or prone because of medical conditions but my son would be using it for hunting, range and maybe competitions. My only problem with the 7/08 is the recoil I'm not sure if it's to much to start off with to learn good form and all that stuff

A 7-08 will have no more recoil than a 65 Needmoor.
That's what I'm wondering as I'm unfortunately recoil sensitive now. If I needmoore I'd just push it faster 🤣. I'd really like to build a 8 twist match chamber .243 for heavies but not a lot of bullet choices and any 6mm is really hard to find. The needmoore right now is easier to find stuff for as everyone is moving to the 6's. I'm learning real quick I should have never jumped down the rabbit hole of building one because now I want to build 2

If you are planning to handload, a 7mm-08 with a Nosler 120 BT works well for hunting hogs to deer.
I don't have personal experience but trusted posts on this forum and others have confirmed that it works well. For some reason, that bullet has a thicker jacket and doesn't break up as much on close shots. I loaded some but didn't draw a tag this last season.

A 120 Nosler BT at 2800 fps and 8# rifle puts recoil in the 30-30 Win ballpark and slightly more than the 243 Win. Nosler showed a factory load but might be hotter than you are going to want.

I do hand load plus it will have a break on it also. Hunting right now will be deer and coyotes. From what you wrote unless the break drops recoil enough it looks like it's going to have to be 6.5 or 243. As my shoulders are kind shot

That's what I'm wondering as I'm unfortunately recoil sensitive now. If I needmoore I'd just push it faster 🤣. I'd really like to build a 8 twist match chamber .243 for heavies but not a lot of bullet choices and any 6mm is really hard to find. The needmoore right now is easier to find stuff for as everyone is moving to the 6's. I'm learning real quick I should have never jumped down the rabbit hole of building one because now I want to build 2
A 8 twist will not handle the heavies. You need a faster twist to shoot the 115's by Berger. I built my 6CM with a 7twist.

22 creedmore for you and a him and a bigger flavor for him. Then when ya heal up you can graduate to his rifle. And he can get the next thing he wants, cause he will😎

I'd do both these on the same actions and get the same stocks. Boyd's are a great choose if $$$ is a factor.

But that's just me cause I'm frugal. Also you can make all your brass out of LC brass, it lasts forever and it's cheap.

I have one stripped at home, I can weight it when I get off work. My understanding is that they're right around the 30oz mark but I'll check to make sure. I'd go with a 243AI if you really must stick with 243. When I think less trimming, I say yes please. I'm going through the same thing, I might try a 22-250AI or 22 Creedmoor for mine. Was also considering a 6XC, GT, SLR type of thing, something I can find factory brass for that has some wow factor.

22 creedmore for you and a him and a bigger flavor for him. Then when ya heal up you can graduate to his rifle. And he can get the next thing he wants, cause he will😎

I'd do both these on the same actions and get the same stocks. Boyd's are a great choose if $$$ is a factor.

But that's just me cause I'm frugal. Also you can make all your brass out of LC brass, it lasts forever and it's cheap.
Thank you for the positivity, but unfortunately I won't heal up. Didn't really want to mention it not that I'm looking for sympathy ,just didn't think it was appropriate for the forum. I was diagnosed with highly moderate to severe Rheumatoid Arthritis in December of 2020 and have Osteoarthritis in both shoulders 21 years of driving a truck. Which is why I'm recoil sensitive now. I don't really want to drop any lower than a .243 because I know I can shoot it with not to many problems

Thank you for the positivity, but unfortunately I won't heal up. Didn't really want to mention it not that I'm looking for sympathy ,just didn't think it was appropriate for the forum. I was diagnosed with highly moderate to severe Rheumatoid Arthritis in December of 2020 and have Osteoarthritis in both shoulders 21 years of driving a truck. Which is why I'm recoil sensitive now. I don't really want to drop any lower than a .243 because I know I can shoot it with not to many problems
I can empathize because I have had gout for the last twenty years. And when I wrestled I've finished matches even with injuries like a dislocated ankle or separated ribs so I understand pain. Joint pain from RA or gout isn't nice. You 243 Win will be fine for deer and competition shooting. A mile will be probably too far but there are other alternatives. Working with your son or some trust worthy shooters will help to test the waters on what is acceptable recoil. Meaning if you find a certain rifle comfortable they might be able to tell you how the recoil feels on larger cartridges in comparison. A 284 Win in a long action with 30 inch barrel might get you to a mile with less recoil. I say set up your 243 win or look into the 6mm varieties others have mentioned. All are good choices. George Gardner competed with a 243 win years ago for 1000 yard sniper competitions. You'll find that on 6mmbr.com. Stay in good health and have fun!