Savage conversion shank size question

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Oakpatch, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Oakpatch

Oakpatch Member

So I would like to convert a 223 to 300wsm in the 10 action. I'm pretty sure the 223 is standard shank and 300 would be large shank. Guys with conversion experience, what shank do I need when I order the barrel I'm looking at shilen pretty hard. Does it matter since I'm doing basically a complete overhaul and just using the short action? Thanks for the help
    Chris

2. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Deleted

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  3. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Same current shank as your .223, just need a larger bolt face for the .300 WSM chambering. See the sticky >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/bolt-face-diameters-36661/

4. Oakpatch

Oakpatch Member

Feenix
    Thanks for the clarification! I was hoping that wasn't going to be an issue
    I currently have pacific tool and gauge in mind for the bolt head. They said they can make me a short action mag face push feed head so I think it might actually get rolling
    Thanks for the response

5. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

You'll also need a WSM firing pin assembly and obviously the longer mag box.

6. geargrinder

Oops...double post.

7. dgarrett

dgarrett Well-Known Member

Listen to Geargrinder.... He really knows Savages...dgarrett

8. geargrinder

Thanks. There are a lot of very Savage-smart folks around here. A bunch over on Savageshooters too.

I've taken enough of them apart to know that I like the long actions the best.:D

9. ATH

ATH Well-Known Member

Just because I don't see it above...perhaps it's obvious...but you can't order a large shank barrel and put it on your small shank .223 action. You'd need a Savage WSM action for the large shank.

Some barrel makers will chamber WSM on a small shank, some won't, depending on their view on the safety of doing so.