Savage conversion shank size question

Oakpatch

So I would like to convert a 223 to 300wsm in the 10 action. I'm pretty sure the 223 is standard shank and 300 would be large shank. Guys with conversion experience, what shank do I need when I order the barrel I'm looking at shilen pretty hard. Does it matter since I'm doing basically a complete overhaul and just using the short action? Thanks for the help
Chris

So I would like to convert a 223 to 300wsm in the 10 action. I'm pretty sure the 223 is standard shank and 300 would be large shank. Guys with conversion experience, what shank do I need when I order the barrel I'm looking at shilen pretty hard. Does it matter since I'm doing basically a complete overhaul and just using the short action? Thanks for the help
Chris

Same current shank as your .223, just need a larger bolt face for the .300 WSM chambering. See the sticky >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/bolt-face-diameters-36661/

Feenix
Thanks for the clarification! I was hoping that wasn't going to be an issue
I currently have pacific tool and gauge in mind for the bolt head. They said they can make me a short action mag face push feed head so I think it might actually get rolling
Thanks for the response

Thanks. There are a lot of very Savage-smart folks around here. A bunch over on Savageshooters too.

I've taken enough of them apart to know that I like the long actions the best.:D

Just because I don't see it above...perhaps it's obvious...but you can't order a large shank barrel and put it on your small shank .223 action. You'd need a Savage WSM action for the large shank.

Some barrel makers will chamber WSM on a small shank, some won't, depending on their view on the safety of doing so.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts