Small shank Savage

The difference between the two is so small it is comical a small shank is 1.0550 Dia and a large shank 1.0625 I know every little bit helps but come on.

Dean

The difference between the two is so small it is comical a small shank is 1.0550 Dia and a large shank 1.0625 I know every little bit helps but come on.
Dean
Then divide that amount by 2, so 0.00375" of barrel surrounding the cartridge...
Yeah, that seems like splitting hairs
Thanks for the answer !

Dean
large shank is 1.120 not 1.062
the problem with the ultra mag on small shank is barrel expansion when using full power loads causing sticky bolt lift. reducing the loads will solve the problem on the small shank of use a large shank

the problem with the ultra mag on small shank is barrel expansion when using full power loads causing sticky bolt lift. reducing the loads will solve the problem on the small shank of use a large shank

Does 300 wsm cause sticky bolt on the Steven 200?

All of my WSMs are small shanks which include 6mm-257- 6.5- 270- 7mm-and 300,
and the way I load them would be considered a Hate crime. And some of them do end up on some of my Stevens 200 actions and none of them complain.

Dean

If that was to happen, I'v yet to experience it, but that will happen, with a smaller cartridge?

Does 300 wsm cause sticky bolt on the Steven 200?
I am lucky enough to have both large and small long actions from the old RUM cases while I haven't used the WSM cases I have turned down and rethreaded barrels for my rum cased wildcats the small shank will show pressure sooner. unless you have both actions you wouldn't even know you would think that you hit max pressure on the small shank action and load accordingly

All of my WSMs are small shanks which include 6mm-257- 6.5- 270- 7mm-and 300,
and the way I load them would be considered a Hate crime. And some of them do end up on some of my Stevens 200 actions and none of them complain.

Dean
same scope-eye from savage shooters? If so he knows his savage stuff.

I don't know if I would attempt that on an Axis or an Edge, even though they are basically the same design. They were marketed at a price point and are not tried and trued 110. They had to cut somewhere to reach that retail price.

Dean

if your reloading it shouldn't be a problem, just develop a load for your set up using the normal pressure signs and common sense.
hot factory loads might be a different story. I had factory Remington 300 ultra mag loads that would have very heavy bolt lift on small shanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.