Small shank Savage

I've talked to a few smiths and half said I needed a large shank for the SAUM/WSM case. I've had no issues with it on the small shank.

Thank you for the replies. These are what I was hoping to hear. I want to build either a 300 WSM or a 300 ss.

There are savage prefits for 300prc

And the Mausingfield uses the same tenon thread as a small shank savage and those can be spun up for 338 norma mag or 338 Lapua Mag although on a shouldered barrel.

ARC has some very interesting things going on with their actions also. So interesting that, I'm thinking might move over to an ARC, from years with the Savage! I just don't have the time, nor patience for long lead times.

I have several Small Shank Savages in WSM and RUM, both ranging from 6mm to 300 and load them like it's my last meal. And have never had a problem even when screwed onto a Stevens action.

Dean

The problem with muzzle breaks is even with hearing protection, your ears and head end up hurting more than your shoulder does. I also have a Small Shank Savage it's called a 50 Thumper it's made from 375 Ruger basic brass, which means it has not been necked down and is straight walled all the way to they end of the case. It holds 90gr + of powder and shoots .501 which is pistol Dia which has a selection of bullets from 250gr through 700gr. It is mounted on a Stevens 110 action.

Exhibit A beside a 223 for poops and giggles

upload_2019-5-8_16-59-29.png

Didn't Savage change the magnums over to the large shank ?
I had asked Jim at NSS and he said definitely on the large shank for the RUM and WSM.
I know my model 16 300 WSM is a large shank, I got it for a Sherman build and Rich said to use a large shank. Apparently some say yes and some no. What is the concern in using the small shank, blowing it up ?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.