Small shank Savage

I have never really understood that argument about small shank Savages and WSM and RUM rounds, a Rem 700 is 1.062 compared to the Savages 1.055 so basically the barrels are the same size Dia yet you never hear about barrel expansion or the effects of it. to further expand on this look at any Weatherby whether it is a 257 or a 460 they have the same size barrel Dia. Go figure.

Dean

I have never really understood that argument about small shank Savages and WSM and RUM rounds, a Rem 700 is 1.062 compared to the Savages 1.055 so basically the barrels are the same size Dia yet you never hear about barrel expansion or the effects of it. to further expand on this look at any Weatherby whether it is a 257 or a 460 they have the same size barrel Dia. Go figure.
Dean
I can't figure it out either, I've been told yes and no by people who are way more qualified than myself but the reasons don't seem to convince me for either so far. The sticky bolt would though but you can do that in any rifle.

If the standard size shank, is a concern, which it may or may not be, on my very first Savage build, 7STW, the gunsmith put the barrel on, with a shoulder and without the nut, regular style. Never knew why he did that, but it worked just fine until the barrel was toast. I bought a 28 Nosler pre-fit and a new nut, everything is good to go.

Here's an idea. Square off the threads in the action so they are not so deep. Then have a gunsmith cut the barrel threads to match. Just couldn't use a pre fit.

Dean
The barrel tennon may be close, but after that you have a shoulder on say a rem 700 where the diameter increases to around 1.25". A Savage is 1".

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.