Savage build question

PARKINGLOT

I have a question regarding a savage build I'm planning on paper.
I'm looking to build a paper puncher and critter/coyote zapper. Eventually I'd like to make a 1000yd shot, one of those bucket list things, at the very least to say I've done it.
I've researched different cartridges, including 25-06, 6.5x284, 6.5 Creedmore, 6mmBR, 6mmXC. I think I've settled on 6.5x47 Lapua. Good ballistics, accuracy, and barrel life. Close dimensions to a .308, should fit in .308 AI magazines.
I want to use a short action Savage, buy a barrel for it, and use either an MDT chassis or maybe an AI chassis.

I'm looking at a lightly used Model 11 XP in .223, guy is selling it for a decent price.
Besides changing the barrel, what else is needed? Will the bolt face need to be changed?
Is there anything I'm overlooking?

For starters I believe you will need a bolthead and a baffle. Give Jim Briggs a call at Northland Shooters Supplies.

My cousin's next build is going to be used for the same things that you will be doing. He is also looking at making his a 6.5x47 for plinking and occasional long shots out past 700yds. It is a good little round, not my first choice, but a fine cartridge nonetheless. You will need a larger bolt face to start.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.