Savage build question

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by PARKINGLOT, Mar 27, 2015.

1. PARKINGLOT

PARKINGLOT New Member

I have a question regarding a savage build I'm planning on paper.
    I'm looking to build a paper puncher and critter/coyote zapper. Eventually I'd like to make a 1000yd shot, one of those bucket list things, at the very least to say I've done it.
    I've researched different cartridges, including 25-06, 6.5x284, 6.5 Creedmore, 6mmBR, 6mmXC. I think I've settled on 6.5x47 Lapua. Good ballistics, accuracy, and barrel life. Close dimensions to a .308, should fit in .308 AI magazines.
    I want to use a short action Savage, buy a barrel for it, and use either an MDT chassis or maybe an AI chassis.

I'm looking at a lightly used Model 11 XP in .223, guy is selling it for a decent price.
    Besides changing the barrel, what else is needed? Will the bolt face need to be changed?
    Is there anything I'm overlooking?

2. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Well-Known Member

For starters I believe you will need a bolthead and a baffle. Give Jim Briggs a call at Northland Shooters Supplies.

3. wbm

wbm Well-Known Member

Magazine

4. pdog2062

pdog2062 Well-Known Member

You can always sell the barrel and the bolt head and get part of your money back

5. PARKINGLOT

PARKINGLOT New Member

Yep, that was going to be part of my plan.

6. Jud96

Jud96 Well-Known Member

My cousin's next build is going to be used for the same things that you will be doing. He is also looking at making his a 6.5x47 for plinking and occasional long shots out past 700yds. It is a good little round, not my first choice, but a fine cartridge nonetheless. You will need a larger bolt face to start.