savage barrels

Thordog

Been thinking of starting my first build. Not looking to build a top notch rifle just doing this one to learn on and have some fun. So I have a few questions I am hoping somebody can help me out with. I am pretty handy with tools and am a welder for a living so making tools is not beyond my skill level either.

So question one

I understand how Savage model numbers work ie 10, 110, 11,.... My question concerning these is, is there a difference in barrels between the model numbers? And for simplicity lets leave the WSM cartridges out. I know they have different thread size.

Can a Wheeler action wrench #2 be used on a model 11,111, 12? Or just the 10/110 model? Same question applies to the barrel nut as well. Same wrench?

And lastly (for now) how do you keep the recoil lug plumb with the action? Thanks in advance!

I do not know if the target actions have a larger OD or if they are merely tapped with a larger thread ?

But, besides that question, all Savage actions should fit a single action wrench. I got the NSS action wrench. They use the front action screw hole (with a supplied bolt) to absolutely prevent the action from rotating inside the wrench. I believe the wrench will also work on the Remington 700 action, but have not verified that.

Other than the magnums and the target actions (all large shank) all the other barrels should be compatible. Don't forget that action length has to be compatible with the round you intend to chamber in the barrel and it will have implications for your magazine as well as a few components on your bolt. A 223 magazine, which fits a short action, is obviously different to a 308/243 magazine which will also fit a short action. I do not presently own any Savage long actions, so can't speak for those.

Thanks for the reply. I did some more looking and answered my own questions about the recoil lug.

NSS is a 2 person company. They are basically an outlet for different products, the great thing is that Jim risks his own $ guessing what people want, buying it with 16-20 week lead times and then stocking it and selling from stock. He carries a LOT of stuff.

So, don't waste your time to send him an email. They only have 1 computer and his book keeper has it most of the time. Jim does not even have caller ID as far as I know. Old school.

So, as he recommends, CALL HIM on the phone during MN business hours. Great guy to deal with.

Contact Information for NSS:
E-mail - [email protected] (that is Q.com not G.com)
Phone - 763/682-4296 - BEST WAY TO CONTACT ME
Fax - 763/682-6098
Mailing address:
PO Box 333
Buffalo, MN 55313

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.