Shouldered Savage Barrel

It will be plenty. Make sure that the receiver face is square and the shoulder on the shank also, and buy a ground aftermarket recoil lug and it will be great. I do away with the barrel nut all the time to be able to go with the larger shank for big cartridges.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the reply JE. I feel good and comfortable with my decision. I'll be sure to get the face squared up and a good aftermarket lug. Thanks again.

It would bother me. I don't even like a 1.200" barrel for a 1-1/16" thread. I have a new never fired 6.5 Creedmoor barreled action that has a 1-1/16" thread and a Bartlein barrel on it. I am considering having another barrel put on it because I don't like the width of the shoulder on the 1.200" barrel.
Thousandths of Remingtons out there with 1.200" barrels. It can bother you, but that doesnt make it a problem. The function of a shoulder is to point the barrel. The threads center the barrel and the shoulder points it. So long as there is enough strength that the shoulder does not deform and allow the barrel to loosen up, thats all it needs to do.

Well, i won't be using a barrel with a 1.20" breech diameter. So it really dosent matter.
I wouldn't use a 1.25" on a 1.125" action. I would want at least a 1.300" diameter. I have three barrels I purchased for 1.125" actions. Two of them are for 1.350" diameter actions. The barrels have 1.300" and 1.315" breech diameters. The other barrel is for a larger diameter action but still a 1.125" thread. That breech diameter is 1.35".

Last edited:
Thousandths of Remingtons out there with 1.200" barrels. It can bother you, but that doesnt make it a problem. The function of a shoulder is to point the barrel. The threads center the barrel and the shoulder points it. So long as there is enough strength that the shoulder does not deform and allow the barrel to loosen up, thats all it needs to do.
There is actually millions of them but that doesn't make me like it. And those thousands of Remingtons don't have 1.125" threads. If they did, I suspect there would be some problems.

I don't personally know you Edd or what you do. You might be a great professional gun smith, I really don't know. I do know that I have had 3 very respected smiths tell me that the 1.250 breech will be just fine. So, unless you can explain exactly why you wouldent do something with facts to back it up, I'm not listening. So far it's smiths 3, Edd 0.

I don't personally know you Edd or what you do. You might be a great professional gun smith, I really don't know. I do know that I have had 3 very respected smiths tell me that the 1.250 breech will be just fine. So, unless you can explain exactly why you wouldent do something with facts to back it up, I'm not listening. So far it's smiths 3, Edd 0.
I'm not a Gunsmith but the reason I wouldn't use one is simple. I think the shoulder should be wider.

I think you are settling for minimums. I'm not willing to do that if I don't have to.

Last edited:
That's great. I think that we can all understand that starting with a larger diameter breach will result in a wider shoulder. Not rocket science and also not the point of this thread. To recap, the point of this tread was to find out IF a shouldered 1.250 breech barrel would WORK FINE for a Savage large shank target action. According to all of the replies in this thread and consultation with 3 professional gunsmiths, the overwhelming consensus is YES. So, you can THINK that it needs to be wider but that dose not mean that it NEEDS to be or SHOULD be wider according to those that fit barrels to actions to feed themselves and their families.

I dont think he ever said it had to be, just that he prefers it to be and that is cool. We all like things a certain way. I have my own preferences too. For the record, the most accurate rifles on the planet (6ppc Benchrest rifles) use light varmint contour barrels almost across the board. They are 1 1/16" tenons and 1.200 shanks.

It would bother me. I don't even like a 1.200" barrel for a 1-1/16" thread. I have a new never fired 6.5 Creedmoor barreled action that has a 1-1/16" thread and a Bartlein barrel on it. I am considering having another barrel put on it because I don't like the width of the shoulder on the 1.200" barrel.
Switch to Weatherby 6 lug or Howa mini actions.

Switch to Weatherby 6 lug or Howa mini actions.
I'm guessing you suggest that because the tenon thread is a smaller diameter than 1-1/16" on those actions. That would make the shoulders wider but it would also create a new discussion about minimum tenon wall thickness.

I'm guessing you suggest that because the tenon thread is a smaller diameter than 1-1/16" on those actions. That would make the shoulders wider but it would also create a new discussion about minimum tenon wall thickness.
Yes.

For the Weatherby, ,there is plenty of material for any .473 rim cartridge. Though I will have to do some head scratching if I I ever chamber one on .284.

You must be leaving out many aspects of your design criteria.

The barrel tenon as we use it is a highly stressed portion of the barrel yet it has few known failures in the field.

Holds the barrel to the action
Locates the barrel shoulder to the action fact to hold the barrel straight
Contains the expansion effects of the firing sequence
I'm sure there is more but I'm still working on my first coffee

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.