Shouldered Savage Barrel

It really does no good at least as I see it tonsay I would or would not use this shoulder size etc without qualifing why.

Anyone can like or choose something for no reason other than they think or like the idea without any real substaince to why and giving support for the why. I hope that makes at least some sense.

I think a diameter is too small or good enough gi es nothing other than taking it at face value. But how about somethi g along the lines of this ornthat alloy deforms at certain force values etc. So far the only real support that has some substance is listing the min standard by a few manf. These companies have reps and liability on the line plus have likely had metalurgical experts give recomendations for the min for a given alloy thread spec bore size etc.

I am not saying anyone does not have goos reason or not just that to be helpful and increase the communal knowledge base giving some support for your reason would be the most helpful.

One thing I habe learned is basic world common sense does not trnaslate well into techical areas. I. Tbis case metalugical properties and strengths etc.

I agree Tim, it's hard to make a decision when you get a bunch of stuff thrown your way with no why behind it. I like to base my decisions on fact, science, etc and if needed defer to someone who has lots of experience doing something, whatever it may be, very well and with good success. I feel comfortable in my decision knowing that some very reputable smiths have told me, based on their lives work, that the breech diameter on the barrel I want to use will be just fine. Good enough for me. I have a profession that I take a lot of pride in and I wouldn't ever recommend something to someone that I would not do myself. I believe great gunsmiths work the same way.

I agree. On another private forum we had a rule. That unless something was generally accepted if you made a statement or recommendation you had to post support /evidence for it.

I have a large shank target action that I want to rebarrel with a shouldered bartlein. The bartlein has a 1.250" breech and the large shank Savage action tenon is 1.125" which leaves .062" of shoulder per side. Is this enough shoulder? The barrel will be chambered in 6.5 CM.

THANKS,
CROWE

I have a shouldered Bartlien barrel on a small shank savage. It gives me a about .097 shoulder per side, which gives me a little more meat. It worked out well allowing me to run a a full size MTU contour.

As stated before, .062 shoulder is more than enough because the barrel torque is no where near enough to upset the shoulder if both surfaces are square.

If you think about it when using the barrel nut you only have the height of the threads acting as a shoulder (They are far less than .062 and are on a 30o angle and tend to climb each other).

A shoulder of only .030 would even be better than the thread because the square surfaces done want to climb and the effective surface is as much
or more.

Another advantage to using a shouldered barrel, is more wall thickness around the cartridge. thicker shank diameters expand less during firing and this makes extraction easier on high pressure loads.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.