Bighorn Origin shouldered prefit vs barrel nut

jacob_strass

Have a bighorn origin short action that I have a shouldered barrel prefit 25 creed for and it was super simple installing it. Spin it in the action, clamp the barrel in a barrel vise and torque the action down with the action wrench. I was looking at getting a barrel from carbon six for it. Problem is they don't make shouldered prefits for the origin but they make small shank savage barrels which then I would be able to use a barrel nut to set headspace. I contacted them and it would be an extra $75 to make a shouldered prefit for the origin. So has anyone had issues using small shank savage barrels with barrel nuts on an origin action? Is it worth the $75 to avoid the hassle of the barrel nut?

I've only switched once but it ended up exactly the same. I've put a couple other barrel nut barrels on with same results. It's really about the feel of the bolt closing and you can keep adjusting it till it is where you want it. The only possible drawback is not having it timed or the imperfect center not being vertical but I haven't seen it cause an actual accuracy issue and I compete at 600 yards and usually place 1st or second.

I like having a friend help when I do it just to get the feel of the bolt close. I've got popeye arms and helps having someone with a better feel

I guess timing the bore to be vertical would be better worded. I'm not so sure that's actually happening on a shouldered prefit but that would be the possible advantage.

It's worth the $75 not to have an ugly nut on there…plus it's just easier.

You'll likely have to relieve some stock in front of the lug for the nut too. Assuming you want the free float.