Bighorn origin question

I bought the action wanting to run BDL bottom metal for a 7 PRC build. I've tried setting the action up in a stock with BDL bottom metal and loading some rounds. It's about impossible to get a third round down. Why I'm now looking at the Hawkins hunter DBM. I did not want to run an AICS mag on a hunting rifle.
So the magazine will hold the three down and stack evenly? Not been my experience with Hawkins Hunter Short action DBM. Without cutting the action the choices are slim. You can cut the contact point, on the magazine, down for clearance. It's not doing anything to hold the cartridge in place. Or call James and ask him about swapping it out.

I'm with Monterey.

Between me and my buddies we have 5 origin and TL3's running this setup and none of those actions needed milled. I think it's a pillar height issue, have you tried to shim it down in the back?

FWIW - the spot you're talking about on the action, I believe needs machined out to run a Wyatt's extended box. You don't need to remove it for the Hawkins Hunter DBM.

It will fit 3 down in a BDL setup. The problem is trying to get the 3rd down with that type of ejection port. This is a left hand action. So the third round is on the right side of the mag box. This makes it difficult to get your fingers under the pic rail/ejection port to push it down in the mag box. It would be a hell of a lot easier with an open top ejection port like a Remington 700.

I bought the action wanting to run BDL bottom metal for a 7 PRC build. I've tried setting the action up in a stock with BDL bottom metal and loading some rounds. It's about impossible to get a third round down. Why I'm now looking at the Hawkins hunter DBM. I did not want to run an AICS mag on a hunting rifle.
The hunter mag will hold 3 rounds of 300prc but it's pretty tight but it works great

So the magazine will hold the three down and stack evenly? Not been my experience with Hawkins Hunter Short action DBM. Without cutting the action the choices are slim. You can cut the contact point, on the magazine, down for clearance. It's not doing anything to hold the cartridge in place. Or call James and ask him about swapping it out.
You're saying the hunter DBM won't hold 3?

It will fit 3 down in a BDL setup. The problem is trying to get the 3rd down with that type of ejection port. This is a left hand action. So the third round is on the right side of the mag box. This makes it difficult to get your fingers under the pic rail/ejection port to push it down in the mag box. It would be a hell of a lot easier with an open top ejection port like a Remington 700.
Load it from the bottom…

I also thought only the SR3 & Ti3 was setup for the Wyatt's extended.

Ray knows…if he told you that, it's fact in my experience. I didn't realize the early long origins needed milled. Did he have any suggestions on where to send it?

If I didn't want to do it (I don't have a mill)…first place I'd call is Wyatt's, I bet they would do that stuff. I've talked to the new owner twice and the transition appears seamless to me…Kevin picked a good one to pass the torch too.

Mine and buddies have all been short actions with the Zermatts both 308 and wsm/saum mags. One Kelbly Atlas tactical on a long but we're talking Zermatt. One of those deals where, there for a bit everyone I showed mine too wanted to know how to convert theirs haha.