Bighorn Origin - Barrel Nut

texjitter

I recently put together a Bighorn Origin using a shouldered pre-fit from PVA and have been happy with it but I am looking to switch up calibers and see quite a few used barrels for sale that have the Savage small shank. I know that is the same thread as the Origin action, but my question is with the Savage style barrels is a nut required or will it just need to be torqued on like my PVA barrel? Hope that makes sense

My question for the nut guys;
Will a remage setup work with a flat breeches barrel and no bolt nose cut? I am concerned about unsupported case head. My plan is to setback a remage barrel and finish the breech face flat and headspace with .125 go gauge protrusion ( much like a savage).
Normally I would cut another bolt nose relief. Are there any safety concerns with my idea?

Last edited:
The remage is a different thread pattern. Remington are closer to 1-1/8x16 while the savage is closer to 1-1/16x20. Would have to cut the tenon off and start fresh if you have enough room

My question for the nut guys;
Will a remage setup work with a flat breeches barrel and no bolt nose cut? I am concerned about unsupported case head. My plan is to setback a remage barrel and finish the breech face flat and headspace with .125 go gauge protrusion ( much like a savage).
Normally I would cut another bolt nose relief. Are there any safety concerns with my idea
As you mentioned, the flat breach is used in a Savage. Savage doesn't have any issues with safety. I think it goes way back to the "three rings of steel" advertising by Remington back in the day. A counter bore is not required, you can use the nut for a shoulder and just make sure you don't have too much clearance, the bolt head should almost touch the barrel breech.

Last edited:
I recently put together a Bighorn Origin using a shouldered pre-fit from PVA and have been happy with it but I am looking to switch up calibers and see quite a few used barrels for sale that have the Savage small shank. I know that is the same thread as the Origin action, but my question is with the Savage style barrels is a nut required or will it just need to be torqued on like my PVA barrel? Hope that makes sense
do not get the savage nut get the one that bighorn sells much better and you just use a box end wrench