First DIY Savage, Barrels?

Thanks Gary, is Never Seize a hardware store kind of item or gun specific?

you can find it at hardware stores. Normally comes in a pint can that you paint on with a brush. Put the paste on sparingly as you only need a thin film of the stuff. The Loctite stuff dosn't seem to do well with fine threads, and will actually dry up over time, and then destroy the threads when you remove them. Last I heared Harbor Frieght sold it, and I think I've seen it at Menards.
gary

the cheapest place I found to buy Never Sieze is at a web site called "The Find". They had pint cans for $15. That's enough to last you half a lifetime! I looked at several sites, and this one is by far the cheapest (this stuff has quadrupled over the last ten years). A 35mm film canister of the stuff will do fifty barrels. I know farmers that go thru two pint cans a year, and just about every good engine builder uses it
glt

Copy That. I have a Harbor Freight a few miles a way. I need to get a bench vise anyway. Thanks again I think I'm about ready to start making some orders.

No kidding. I am planning on getting a barrel nut wrench and the other ins and outs for this project from midway. Does anyone know if Redding makes go/ no-go gauges? I'm having trouble finding headspace gauges. Also have been planning on going with a #4 contour or heavy sporter weight barrel but I've been reading that some people are saying they wouldn't go any lighter than a #5 on a long range rig any thoughts would be great.

No kidding. I am planning on getting a barrel nut wrench and the other ins and outs for this project from midway. Does anyone know if Redding makes go/ no-go gauges? I'm having trouble finding headspace gauges. Also have been planning on going with a #4 contour or heavy sporter weight barrel but I've been reading that some people are saying they wouldn't go any lighter than a #5 on a long range rig any thoughts would be great.

to the best of my knowledge Forster is the only one readilly available to the masses off the shelf.
gary

Thanks Predator. If I'm not mistaken a headspace gauge for a 300WSM or 270WSM would be the same since the case is the same with different neck diameter. I'm planning to get a barrel cut to the wildcat 6.5 WSM and neck down 270WSM brass. Am I correct in assuming that these rounds are the same excepting neck diameter and thus should use the same gauge? Thanks for everyones patience I'm new to this stuff and intend to do it correctly.

That i don't know, but have been doing a lot of reading on it since I'm wanting to build one for long range antelope/deer, on either the 300wsm or 300rsaum for a parent cartridge, but need to find a large shank receiver. Good luck on your build, and keep us posted.

That i don't know, but have been doing a lot of reading on it since I'm wanting to build one for long range antelope/deer, on either the 300wsm or 300rsaum for a parent cartridge, but need to find a large shank receiver. Good luck on your build, and keep us posted.

Unless you have an elk hunt in mind, I'd look at the .270WSM or the 7mm WSM. The .270 has similar ballistics to the .270 WBY mag with 140 grain bullets. Honestly, I'd look at the .270 improved cases in a long action. You'd have less trouble finding cases, and when you do they'll be cheaper
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.