Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown

well that went well. to the stock off the bmag and eyeballed the stock, wow jus a lil crooked. not too hateful. a little elbow grease and I had a dollar bill sliding with ease in 15 minutes.

Next I guess I'll dip the stock in my favorite camo. then I'll have some ammo. fix the bolt if needed and work on the stiffening the stock.

"Tim...I, too, would be interested in seeing how your FFL bedded the stock, so a photo and a description would be very helpful in the event the new stock on the B.MAG being sent to me doesn't do the job."

"tim thats a very interesting post, could you go into detail of what was done to your stock ?"

Guys, I will be the first to admit that I am not a gunsmith. My limit is field stripping to clean and and an occasional mounting of a scope. As my gun is accurate as it is now, I don't want to take the stock off or do anything to it that my affect my zero. I am forwarding this thread to Brad, since he did the work, for his response of what he did and what can be done for improvements.

I just got back to the range today for my third attempt at accuracy with the b mag. The first two trips left me wondering if I could live with myself if I sold it to someone else 3 inch groups at 100... not acceptable. I like some who have posted decided to tinker with the gun rather than sending it back. As with most reports the barrel touching the stock seemed at first to be the problem, I fixed this by sanding down the ribs, I then noticed that you can flex the whole gun in the stock all the way back to the action and applying pressure on the sides of the action make it come in and out of contact with the receiver. my last modification was to test if bedding the action will help I used a motorcycle grip cut into pieces and wedged on the sides of the trigger group. Also a piece was cut and placed between the front action screw and stock as well as one compressed under the first inch of barrel. Results were much improved except. As on previous post pointed out ammo is a major problem I chronographed a full box of 25 grain Winchester and got a sd of 54 fps with extreme spread of 106 fps I took some pics of my groups(1st pic 25 grain 25yards on top 100 on bottom 2nd 20 grain 25 on top 100 on bottom) the 20 grain loads are far more consistent the 100 yard group could have been better if I did my part it was about 20 degrees and I fired it with gloves on... needless to say I have 350 rounds of 25 grainers for sale so I can buy more 20's. I am going to shoot this way for a while I might try to glass bed the action and recoil lug.

Attachments

• 20131228_193631.jpg
    20131228_193631.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 20131228_193624.jpg
    20131228_193624.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 158
This is very interesting. It seems there are B.MAGs that improve with bedding or another kinda' equivalent method of anchoring the barrel to the stock, and B.MAGs that improve with free-floating the barrel. Which is better? Then there is the ammo...is the 20gn or the 25gn more accurate? Savage told me that when they tested my rifle they used the 25gn. When I asked if that was more accurate, I was told "yes"?

I expect to receive my B.MAG back from Savage in a week or two so I'll test it as it is returned. But I only have 20gn ammo. That will, of course, not answer either of the questions.

I visited numerous gun stores in Oregon and Northern California this last week in search of 25gn ammo, with no success. In California, I mostly got a kind of "huh?" look when I asked. Most of the dealers I spoke with had no idea about what a B.MAG was, much less having any ammo.

HntWhtTail, if you'll PM me, perhaps we can work out a deal where I can purchase some of your 25gn ammo so I can at least compare the 20gn to the 25gn.

To clarify a bit my barrel is floated up to 1 inch from the reciever and stock is bedded. I started with floated and had minimal improvement, then bedded and floated and saw much improved accuracy.

I have a little more to add of what was done to my B Mag to improve the accuracy. I talked to Brad and he stated he will respond to this post more in detail after the Holidays. He did tell me that he cut the ribs on the left and right side of the stock and fitted the slots that he cut out with aluminum rods before doing the bedding. I can tell you that it removed all of the flimsiness from the factory stock. I also like the additional added weight as I thought the rifle was just too light weight. It felt more like a pellet gun than the fastest rimfire rifle. Hopefully, Brad will add more detail of all his work soon.

To clarify a bit my barrel is floated up to 1 inch from the reciever and stock is bedded. I started with floated and had minimal improvement, then bedded and floated and saw much improved accuracy.

HntWnt-Are you able to get repeatable groups ? I have done similar bedding to my Bmag and achieved results like yours but I cannot repeat from target to target. Does yours group the same everytime ? I weigh all my ammo as well.

Johnhernan...if your BMAG's forend is touching the barrel, I'd contact Savage and ask them if they can re-stock it. Apparently they have a new stock design. I'll try to provide photos if and when my BMAG is shipped back to me.

Bought one for Christmas shot it once, not impressed 1-1/4 at 50 yards with 25gr. Bought some 20 gr yesterday, will try them. I do have a bedding issue I'll work on. Read that Volquartsen is in the process of making a 17 WSM, may have to buy one, very interested in the calibre, not the Savage rifle.

I only shot the 4 sets on paper and then zeroed with the 20 grain load, I was able to pick off some pieces of clay pigeon maybe (1"- 3") at 100 consistently with the new zero and bedding. It seems to be accurate. If I try 5 shots in a row almost every 5th shot was a miss barrel gets too hot too quick. If it warms up and work stays slow this week I will go back out I am probably going to pick up some acraglass today and bed the action completely also looking at custom stiffer fore end I am thinking of some sort of rod down both sides, with a few braces connecting them along the length of the barrel. then finish exterior in bondo or something similar I have also been looking at used wood stocks off of different guns that may be close that I could make fit. I just wish Boyds would make a stock for it. If they made the tacticool to fit I would have a new heavy barrel put on then we would have something worth shooting.

Very interesting, gsperez. Thanks for the suggestion. Who woulda' thunk that some O-rings can improve the grouping?

Referring to my BMAG, I got it back from Savage on Friday. Externally, the stock looks the same as the old one but the forend is much more rigid. Unless I apply lots and lots of pressure, the forend of the new stock cannot be pushed against the barrel, as compared the original stock witch was very flimsy.

I haven't yet removed the stock to see what mechanical changes Savage made to the forend, and it has been too cold to shoot. I will get to these things and keep people apprised.

If anyone has any 20gn-25gn accuracy comparisons, I would like to see the results.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts