Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown

Finally!!! Got out to shoot the new gun Savage sent as a replacement. First it's worth mention that the barrel on the new one is now free floating. First I went to an indoor gun range. Right out of the gate it had ejection problems. None of the spent shells would eject with the bolt. I had to take a small screwdriver and gently pop them out. It took very little effort but it was still a nuisance at that. Groups were very good at 50 yards. Took it home and gently filed the very rear part of the chamber where the shells were hanging up. This took care of the ejection problem. Went to an outdoor range with 100 yd range and shot about 3/4" to 1" groups fairly consistently with an occasional flyer. This was shooting out of the Leadsled II. Had two that didn't fire and contribute this to ammunition issues. One reloaded and fired and the other wouldn't after 3 different primer strikes. Even with the first couple hick-ups I'm much happier with this now. Understand this is a $300 gun and to expect anything more than that is just dreaming. It's a good gun for what it is but won't win any accuracy contests compared to match barrels. It will be interesting when other manufacturers make heavy barrels and other ammunition for this. This right now I feel is what is holding the 17 wsm cartridge back. So there it is. I feel the stock against the barrel was the problem for accuracy. Savage customer service was excellent and they took care of me. It doesn't have the accuracy of my 17 HMR but it was much cheaper. It's a fun gun with no recoil that should only get better with other options for ammo.

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction. I just received a call yesterday that my rifle has arrived. I wish I could get excited instead of nervous as to what I am going to find. As I said before I just turned 60yrs. Oil and I don't need anymore lessons. Weather is pretty bad here so it will be a couple of days before I can get my little paws on it . I may check a few things at the gun shop before I bring the little guy home, but really I am kinda anxious to shoot it he'll who wouldn't be.
Good luck to you.

When I began reading on page 1 I thought to myself that by page 5 there would be happy endings with simple stock tuning

BUT

Based on your interim report I am going to pass on this rifle, both the rifle ($ 289) and ammo ($ 25.00 a box) are available at a local gun store right now however your grouping reports have me thinking I wouldn't touch the Bmag with a 20 foot pole.

BB

.17 WSM at 25.00 a box?? That's outrageous! Here in Canada, Ive been buying it for 16.00 a box.

Ive been following the reviews on the B.Mag since it came out, and have been anxiously awaiting my own .17 WSM for many months. Here in Canada we have been able to buy the ammo for some time, but the rifles were not available. Till now that is! I just got a call from a buddy who works at Cabela's in Winnipeg. They are receiving their first shipments of the B.Mag tonight. I will be driving into the city to pick one up tomorrow! It seems that Savage may have delayed the Canadian shipments, untill they had a chance to work all the bugs out of the rifle first. That's what I'm assuming. I will know shortly, and will come back here and let you guys know how things work out for me!

I've always loved the .17 rimfires, and have a Marlin .17 Mach2 I bought my Son for gopher hunting, while I was shooting the Savage 93R17 BSEV in .17 HMR. Both of those rifles have been absolute tack drivers, with the nod going to the .17 M2 at 75 yards! That little thing is an absolute lazer!

Another thing ive noticed traveling to the US is the American's penchant to go crazy overbuying and hoarding! Why is it that at ALL the Cabela's from North Dakota to Iowa have signs stating only 2 boxes of .22 LR per person, and there is a shortage? Heck, I couldnt buy a pond of Varget all summer! Seeing that guys are buying up all the .17 WSM, then turning around and selling it for 50.00 a box on gun broker? Thats just plain RUDE! Whats with the hoarding mentality? I seen guys buying 40- 1200 rnd box's of .22LR!! ***? Why? is the end of the world coming? Here, we haven't got that issue. We buy what we need. Then next month, buy a little more. I was trying to buy Benchmark, and Varget all summer, I asked the guy at Cabella's why all of a sudden I couldnt get any powder, and he said the American's were coming up every Wednesday, the day they got it in and buying it all up. They were selling out hours after getting it in. Crazy.

Anyways, sorry to get off topic, but Ill come back here and post my results with the B.mag I get! Hopefully Savage worked all the issues out, and it shoots like my 94R17 BSEV! Then i'll be happy! If thats the case, all ill need is a Boyd's lightweight thumbhole when they come out!

Ginnz.

Hi guys, I'm new to the site. I also just took delivery of my new 17 wsm. I have read a lot about this gun and after receiving mine I'm not that all upset about the craftsmanship.

Yes its plastic, and yes it could have been made better, but it is what it is. I haven't shot mine because I cant get ammo. realistically we're only speaking about a rimfire cartridge right.

Aren't our expectations too high for a cartridge that can't be hand loaded. Factory ammo will always be less accurate.

Also wouldn't you guys agree that the guns that were tested by magazines were hand selected rifles that were gone over to make sure they preformed well to get good reviews ?

Savage probably shot themselves in the foot by doing this. If you look at any product that is the first of its kind, the first generations always have bugs and are usually rushed to production.

I'm sure I'll work on mine to get to shoot the best it can. Its not a match grade gun and maybe its not supposed to be. Its just a fun little gun. If we look at it that way, maybe its not so bad.

Yes I wish it was made better. I'm going to take the time while Im waiting for ammo and work on the bugs you guys have stated and get the stock dipped in camo. would that help stiffen the stock ?

Anyway that's just my 2 cents, don't hurt me too bad. I'm very sensitive. I would like to hear your thoughts. Oh I would like some pics on how to take the barrel off the stock. I don't see any screws to remove.

I also see what sems to be metal shavings in the action, so Ill have to clean it real good. and I also took a look at the chamber and think I see some little burrs. would I use a rat tail file on this. any suggestions will be appreciated.thanks.

Pick mine up next week, just gonna take my time too, take in all the advice that I have read and put it all to good use and hope for the best. I have 200 rounds of the 20 grain and haven't seen anymore but I only paid fifteen dollars a box at basspro. I hope I can get more. Good luck to you all.

what the heck guys, you CANT get ammo? why?? i got my rifle today, and bought 6 box's of 20gn ammo right away. there is plenty there.... oh,yeah, thats right.

its because i only bought 6 box's, and will get more when I need it, And its there because the majority of us do the same.... not see 30 box's there, and say to myself, "Im gonna buy ALL of it, even though I don't need it, but just because I want it ALL!".....

thats the mentality that kills this awesome sport/hobby.

im planing on taking the savage out tomorrow and sighting it in. Ill get back to you here with the results. But another thing, as soon as Boyd's ccomes out with a replacement stock, I WILL get it.... heck, maybe i'll get 'em all! J/K ;-)

Hi guys, I'm new to the site. I also just took delivery of my new 17 wsm. I have read a lot about this gun and after receiving mine I'm not that all upset about the craftsmanship.

Yes its plastic, and yes it could have been made better, but it is what it is. I haven't shot mine because I cant get ammo. realistically we're only speaking about a rimfire cartridge right.

Aren't our expectations too high for a cartridge that can't be hand loaded. Factory ammo will always be less accurate.

Also wouldn't you guys agree that the guns that were tested by magazines were hand selected rifles that were gone over to make sure they preformed well to get good reviews ?

Savage probably shot themselves in the foot by doing this. If you look at any product that is the first of its kind, the first generations always have bugs and are usually rushed to production.

I'm sure I'll work on mine to get to shoot the best it can. Its not a match grade gun and maybe its not supposed to be. Its just a fun little gun. If we look at it that way, maybe its not so bad.

Yes I wish it was made better. I'm going to take the time while Im waiting for ammo and work on the bugs you guys have stated and get the stock dipped in camo. would that help stiffen the stock ?

Anyway that's just my 2 cents, don't hurt me too bad. I'm very sensitive. I would like to hear your thoughts. Oh I would like some pics on how to take the barrel off the stock. I don't see any screws to remove.

I also see what sems to be metal shavings in the action, so Ill have to clean it real good. and I also took a look at the chamber and think I see some little burrs. would I use a rat tail file on this. any suggestions will be appreciated.thanks.

Hammer 111,

Welcome to the site! I don't think you"ll get beat up too bad:D

I personally don't disagree with your overall opinion (it ain't a bench rest gun). That said, I am disappointed with the rifle relative to past Savage rimfires. My 93 doesn't have the greatest materials or fit and finish, but it shoots straight and is mechanically sound.

While I haven't shot a B Mag, I have handled a few and read a bunch of member reviews. Issues with magazine fit/feeding, stocks contacting barrels, extraction failures , and bolt stop malfunctions seem to be common. These types of issues (to me) are unacceptable at any price range. They leave you with a semi-functional rifle. I guess I was hoping for a B Mag in-line with my past experience with Savage - built inexpensively, but skimping and saving cost in the "right" places. And consistently good shooters.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that they have some work to do on the B Mag to get there.

As far as the burr in your chamber, I would recommend something far less aggressive than a file. I'm not sure how pronounced it is, but if it takes more that something mildly abrasive to polish off you may want to consider taking it to a gunsmith. You definitely don't want to take any more material out of there than necessary!

Thank you Varmit I appreciate that. I totally agree with everyones concerns and disappointments witht the bmag.

when you throw down hard earned cash you what something that works correctly.

from my experiences when something new is created the preproduction versions are handmade and can be tweeked to proform well in testing environments.

then in rushed production, mistakes can't or won't be corrected. they are left to be fixed in the following year of production if the product takes off.

I believe this is the case with the bmag. all the reviews were probably done with prepros or the tester was influenced to give a good review or you'll be on the outside of future new gun tests.

All those good reviews got us all worked up ( me included ). so now we are left with bad tastes in our mouths with the guns short comings. Savage could of and should of did a better job making the bmag.

Im sure next versions will have some or all problems addressed. Maybe savage will feel the pressure and fix all early production bmags. I checked mine and the serial number is a 113. Im shocked since I just bought it, I was hoping it was a 131.

as far as the burr in my chamber its not significant, its more like a ruff finish than a burr. I think light sanding or filing would be fine. I probably will leave it alone until after I shoot it.

After all these posts I am not looking forward to shooting my new bmag...I seem to have the same out of the box issues.

Hang in there buddy, now that the weather is better I will pick mine up and give it a try and hope for the best and if I can't get it to shoot I'll just box it up and send it back. I have read so much bad therehas to be some good somewhere.

Ah comon Irish its not that bad. I know mine has to go back too. its not so bad since I dont have ammo.

take it for what it is , a neat rimfire. not a world beater match gun. its not a custom gun or a top of the line gun like a weatherby.

Im sorry but if anybody thinks there going to get a factory ammo rimfire to shoot the eye out of a fly at 200 yards, there setting their self up for big disappointment.

if it was a center fire that would be different and I think thats where some of the problem is. people are expecting it to perform like a center fire custom hand load.

I know its advertised as 1 1/2 moa I think at 100 yards or something. Doesn't every car dealership says theyre the top dealership in the country, or this is the best computer or best this or that.

who buys something that says theyre ok or middle of the road or it would be a good product if it was made better.

just remember its a rimfire and treat it as such. your not taking big game. its target, plinking or varmit shooting.

I get the concerns, Im not happy having to send my gun back. Im more upset I can't get ammo. I won't kill myself because 1 or 2 shells don't come out right.

Just keep things in perspective.Im not trying to disrespect anybody thats upset about the short comings of this gun, you have every right to be mad.

I think if you bought this gun thinking it would perform like a center fire, maybe you should have bought a 17 hornet .Keep things in perspective and you'll be fine.

Picked mine up yesterday and mounted my scope now just if I can just get to the range. I am going in with the attitude that mine shoots just like the one that the boys at Shooting Times tried out. HA, we will see.

Savage called me yesterday, telling me that their gunsmith had looked at my B.MAG and had fixed the problems. They are shipping it back to me with a new stock, a new trigger and a new magazine. I sure hope the problems really ARE fixed. Time will tell and I'll report on progress.

I just got off a phone call from Savage regarding my B.MAG. Debbie (my contact there, and a really nice lady) told me that Savage's head gunsmith had looked at it. He replaced the stock with one of a new design. Evidently Savage determined that the original design wasn't working right.

He also replaced the trigger with a new one. Debbie told me the adjustment of the trigger is somewhat different than the earlier one, but even after a couple of questions I'm still not sure of what the differences are. I guess I'll find out in a few days when the rifle is returned to me. Debbie also told me that the smith had "tested" it for extraction, ejection and accuracy. Regarding the latter, Debbie said the test data is being included with the return and that the rifle was "well within [Savage's] accuracy spec."

Debbie also told me that the 25gn cartridge was more accurate than the 20gn cartridge, and that the accuracy testing was done using the 25gn cartridge. I haven't found any 25gn ammo locally so I'll have to expand my search radius.

I look forward to shooting the "fixed" B.MAG and I'll report my results here.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts