Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown

Good luck with the return to savage for better accuracy, been down that road with them with little improvement. Maybe they have it worked out by now.

I will simply put a Boyds stock on it. That will be a vast improvement of piece of black licorice they put on it from the factory.
I will be patiently waiting for someone to make a bull barrel for this thing as well.
Any one else having as much fun loading the magazine as I am ?

Hi Irish, how does that stock thing from Boyds work , I have emailed and tried calling but no answer yet. Do you just order the configuration and color you want and they send it or do you need to send in rifle. If not is there any final fitting that you have to do.
I just used the web site.. I never did get anyhting but an answering machine when I tried to call.. I just ordered the configuration I wanted from the web site

They have been listed as "Out of Stock" since day one. You can place your order now and it will be shipped in 1-2 weeks, or so it says. They charged my credit card the day I placed my order last week but the order status still says "waiting to ship". I'm not really sure they've started making them yet. This may be a ploy to see how much interest there is before they tool up for production.
Time will tell. Mine should ship this week if the web site is correct about the 1-2 week time frame.

Those of you who are purchasing a Boyd's stock can provide some valuable information to this B.MAG community if you shoot for accuracy with the standard stock, then again with the Boyd's stock.

Shooting 10 rounds with one, then 10 with the other, then repeating the 10/10 sequence will take the "warm-up & familiarization" out of the data. That is, if you shoot 10 with the standard stock, then switch to the Boyd's and just report that comparison, it would be unclear if the improvement (if any) is due to the stock or the shooter just getting "in the groove".

For those of you in the east who seem to be able to find 25gn ammunition, shooting 10 & 10 with the 20gn, then the 25gn with the "best" stock would also provide valuable information about which ammo is more accurate.

It's too cold and gloomy to shoot here in Central Oregon right now, so I can't give you any information about how, if at all, the newly designed floating-barrel Savage stock improves the accuracy. But I'll get that data, hopefully within the next month or two. But I can only find 20gn ammo.

They have been listed as "Out of Stock" since day one. You can place your order now and it will be shipped in 1-2 weeks, or so it says. They charged my credit card the day I placed my order last week but the order status still says "waiting to ship". I'm not really sure they've started making them yet. This may be a ploy to see how much interest there is before they tool up for production.
Time will tell. Mine should ship this week if the web site is correct about the 1-2 week time frame.
This was the same scenario when boyds introduced stocks for the savage Axis. When I placed my order for my Axis, I received my stock in 10 days. No reason to expect any difference in delivery time. Thanks again Boyds !

Whats up guys..... I just joined this site after finding out that "i'm not alone" with my
B-Mag...... I just picked it up last week and finally found ammo at Dicks Sporting Goods (10 boxes). I went out on a limb buying this gun knowing that the ammo is virtually non-existent and after seeig the quality of it at my local sporting goods store i thought it was a 22 long with a beefed up chamber...

So here's my deal.... I to have a barrel prob. it stops floating halfway up the fore-stock. After 100 25 grain rounds through it my grouping was about 3" at 50 yards and 5.5 to 6" at 100. Horrible first exspearance with this gun! I did like the trigger feel for such a cheap gun.... The barrel never really got hot. I was shooting it today indoors and off a Led Sled rest. The rounds were going all around the bullseye except in it! As for my shooting experience, is pretty extensive. I've shot successfully on many occasions at 5 to 600 yards with my 270 Rem so grouping with this .17 and a Nikon 4.5x14BDC scope off a rest at 50 yards I thought should be "stacked" at best and 1/2" at worst.

After reading these posts i now know its the arrow not the indian!!!

OK so what do you think i should do??? Send it back to Savage or take a socket with sand paper and sand the forestock down??? Does anyone know the turn around time if i send it back to Sav??? Does anyone know if i send it back is there are there any other issues that they are having besides the stock thing????

You all are very informitive on this site and i'm glad that by having a sour gun i found a good site and chat room:D Thanks for your replies.

Rick

Ricky...I would recommend the "return to Savage" path. Gnawing away on your forend may or may not solve the problem but you've voided the warranty if you do that. I returned my B.MAG to Savage for the third time. I sent it to them around the last week of November and I received it back in the 2nd week of January. Savage was closed for the Holidays, though, so the turn-around time for your B.MAG likely would not be as long as for mine.

Savage replaced the stock with one of "a new design". With this one, the barrel floats as it should. I haven't shot it, yet, because of the cold weather in Central Oregon, so I cannot yet report on the improvement provided by the new stock.

My contact as Savage Customer Service was a lady named Debra Roberts. She was very pleasant and helpful. Good luck.

I have not shot my b- mag yet but I have mounted 3-9x40 Bushnel on it and order a Boyds stock for it and in the mean time I was on a .17 buzz so I bought an hmr that I haven't had a chance to shoot either, I put a 3-9x40 Nikon on it thanks to a but load of Bass Pro gift cards. I have been lucky enough to guy both of the 20 and 25 ammo for the mag and as was suggested earlier in these posts is exactly what I intend to do and when the weather straightens up I will report on the groups I get with the factory stock and the new Boyd stock, it may be a little while between the weather and delivery time. I for sure am NOT trying to downgrade Savage Arms in any way just like any of the other gun company they will produce a lemon once in a while, it just happens.

Thanks Oregon! After Thinking it over a little and all the posts on here as well as your last post to me, im putting it back in the box and sending it back to Savage....... Do you know what the new stock looks like? I believe my stock is the prob. I pulled the gun apart after my text last night and it too has a banana stock! If you look down the front of it while its apart its very easy to see its not right. I guess Savage doesn't do that prior to assembly! I really hope i get this gun back before Feb 7-9, I'm in a coyote tournament that i planed on using it in. i guess i can go back to shooting dogs with my 270 again.... just when i thought i was gonna start saving money on ammo!

Thanks again Oregon for the contact info over at Savage. Ill be sure to ask for her. I'll be back to the chat room with my findings.....

PS. If anyone else has any info on this subject, i'd love to hear it.
Thanks ;-)

Ricky...I didn't make any measurements on the old stock, so all I can give you here about the differences between the old and the new stocks are 'recollections and impressions'. (I'm kicking myself that I didn't make any actual measurements.) I was expecting to see a different web design in the forend. The old webbing was a rectilinear grid of (about) 1/16" thick plastic, with one central spar running fore-aft and several transverse ribs between the chamber and muzzle ends of the forearm.

But the new stock looks to be the same, albeit it's more rigid and has a lot less flex. Sighting along the "gunnel line" (nautical term; it's the best description I can think of.... I'm referring to the top of the forend between the chamber and muzzle end) shows no curvature. It's dead straight.

But something "looked different" and it took me awhile to figure out what it was. I think the extra rigidity is created by an increased thickness in the forend material itself. There is less volume in the forend for the webbing and (I think) that's a result of a thicker forend. That would explain the increased stiffness of the forend.

Dave...we will all look forward to your report on 20gn vs 25gn and factory vs Boyd's stocks. Bundle up, boy, and go get that data! The B.MAG world is breathlessly waiting for the results...:)

Ok here is something that might be of some use to some of you(if the pic's uploaded). Here are some pic's of the stock as well as a piece of aluminum rod showing where the main gunnel runs out. My finger is on the webbing where the barrel starts running out. Oregon, does this stock look like your new one? Im wondering if I fill the webbing on the new stock with epoxy if it will stiffen it up much.... I'm going to put a letter in with the gun asking for the old stock back after they change it. I'm sure there gonna tell me to go fly a kite but can hurt to ask.... If they do give it back, i'm gonna sand it down and fill it with epoxy and see if it makes a difference.

I hope the pic's help some of you out...

cant get them to upload... anyone know how to upload pic's??? this works just like my Savage.....lol...

Attachments

• 20140119_161801.jpg
    20140119_161801.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 20140119_161809.jpg
    20140119_161809.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 141
  • 20140119_161832.jpg
    20140119_161832.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 20140119_161407.jpg
    20140119_161407.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 137
  • 20140119_160837.jpg
    20140119_160837.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 134
  • 20140119_161247.jpg
    20140119_161247.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 140
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts