Savage B.Mag 17 Winchester Super Mag Teardown

Wouldn't it be nice if they could send you a couple of box's of ammo back with it so you could try it out.

oregonreloader I guess you have a early production model. I guees before 131 serial number. I found out my is in fact a 211 so its after. I wonder if that means I have a updated stock too.

I did the paper test and got it 3/4 maybe a little more down the barrel. I cant wait to shot mine. got a sweet simmons 3x14 vortex scope. I think Ill use my down time and dip the stock in camo.

man if I could just get ammmmoooooooooooooo

Hammer...I'm uncertain about the serial number reference you are making. The serial number of the one I had was J1770xx. Is that an "early"model?

According to the various threads on various sites I've read about the B.MAG, the common denominator in those that aren't "good shooters"--those that aren't accurate--is that the forend was contacting the barrel in one or more places. It seems like once that problem gets fixed, accuracy is much improved. So, hopefully, the newly re-designed stock that my B.MAG has been equipped with (and may have already been shipped to me) will make the barrel truly free-floating and the accuracy will hopefully improve to the point that it's useful out to ~200+ yards.

Before anyone buys a B.MAG, the first thing they should do is run a dollar bill between the barrel and the forend. If the paper doesn't freely slide all the way to the chamber, walk away. Alternatively, buy it new at a greatly reduced price and then ask Savage to put the new stock on it. But I'd hold off on this latter approach, too, until it's shown that fix really is the solution to the poor accuracy problem.

yes there was a post that said any bmag witha serial number of 113 or 131, and earlier. I forget which, was the early version and had to be sent back. like wise anything after is supposed to be updated.

If you would inlighten me oregonreloader why does a barrel have to be floating, why cant the barrel touch the forestock ?

I'm not qualified to answer that. I do know that the accuracy shooters use rifles with floating barrels. (I think.) It has something to do with the resonance modes that are set up when the bullet is fired. Think of a barrel as a guitar string. And think of firing the cartridge as plucking the string. The string resonates with a certain frequency. If you damp the string with a rag, say, the note is distorted. So a forend touching the barrel is like the rag. I suspect a rifle is kinda'-sorta' like that. But I'll leave "the correct"explanation to our long-range accuracy guys. Guys?

OregonReloader, would you please post some pictures of the new stock that Savage is using? I'm very interested to see the changes and how it performs.

That being said, my B.MAG shoots great and I have not run into any issues. I hope everyone gets their issues worked out by Savage, because it is a great little round.

Also, for those looking at the Contender route. I ended up buying a 23" Contender barrel from MGM and absolutely love it. Many, many ground squirrels, two coyotes (one at 154 yards) and a bobcat have been taken with the Contender and the 20 grain bullet offering.

Eric :cool:

I just got off the phone with savage. I called about the issue with opening up my action after I shoot my cartridge and how hard it is to open it after I shoot it, their response to me was that is just the way they are built.does anybody else have this same issue of having to hit the action handle hard with the palm of their hand. I call Bull $#|t, please let me know. I might start a thread about poor performance from the B-mag

Mine is very tight, more so than any of my other bolt guns, but not so tight that I have to beat it open.

I had the same issues with the cheap stock that some of the others have had. I purchased my B Mag in September and was not satisfied with the flimsy stock. I shot several rounds through the gun and generally had 3 shot groups that usually averaged a little more than an 1-1.5 inch. I was shooting at the private range of East Coast Precision Rifles. That is where I had the gun shipped to when I ordered it on the internet and he also mounted the scope for it. The owner, Brad Hemrick, told me he could make a real shooter out of the B Mag. After having the rifle at ECPR for a few weeks, I picked it up yesterday. I took it to the range today and zeroed it 1 inch high at 100 yards. I was consistently getting 1/2 inch or less 3 shot groups from a sled benchrest. I know it is an added expense to bed the B Mag, and you will probably end up with more money in the gun than the value of the gun, but the results will give you the accuracy you are looking for. As I intend to keep the gun for coyotes, and because I like the round, I am ok with the extra expense. The gun was already minute of coyote accurate before being bedded. It is now 200 yard minute of ground hog accurate and then some.

The gun was zeroed and the results were with 25 gr bullets. I did not shoot any 20 gr today, but I will on the next trip to the range. As a side note, my local Walmart sells the B Mag ($299) and the ammo. I have purchased several boxes of both 20 gr and 25 gr ammo there for $14.77 a box ( I do not buy and resell to make a profit off of fellow shooters although some have been doing that here).

One last thing. I did not like the black shiny stock on the B Mag. Brad bead blasted the entire stock. It considerably improved the looks of the stock and the entire look of the gun. It no longer looks or feels like the cheap stock factory gun nor should it. I could have bought a CZ (if they made it) for what I have in this one, but I am happy with it now. The B Mag has lots of potential, but you need to spend some money unless you can do the work yourself, to achieve that potential. I own the .17 HMR CZ 452 Trainer, Savage bull barrel, Marlin bull barrel, and Taurus pistol. My cheap pencil barrel B Mag is now as accurate as any of them, and that is saying a lot.

tim thats a very interesting post, could you go into detail of what was done to your stock ?

I might do some of the work myself to my gun to get shooting decent and hold out for a custom or aftermarket stock.

I sure would like to know how to take the barrel off the stock. I don't see any mounting screws and I don't like giving a new gun an autopsy just to fine mounting hardware thanks.

Hammer...Did you figure out the stock removal steps? 1) Release the magazine, 2) at the forward end of the magazine bay you'll see a small horizontal slot; stick a small screwdriver in there to release the trigger guard. 3) after lifting out the trigger guard, you'll see two Allen-head bolts. Remove those and the barrel/trigger group can be separated from the stock.

Tim...I, too, would be interested in seeing how your FFL bedded the stock, so a photo and a description would be very helpful in the event the new stock on the B.MAG being sent to me doesn't do the job.

Everyone...I've been unable to locate any 25gn .17WSM cartridges in Oregon. I've got four boxes of the 20gn cartridges that I'll swap for 4 boxes of 25gn with anyone who can't get the 20gn. If anyone's interested, let me know.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.