Savage 338 lapua improved?

snox801

Ok after doing a quick search I came up with nothing about this . So I purchased a savage long range hunter with my cabelas points and had it put in an xlr chassis.
Then I have it to my brother because I have my .375 AM coming and would like to enjoy long range with him. I now have enough points again to purchase another one.
My brother is having his rebarreled so I started thinking.
I want to do both in the .338 lapua improved. Both will be savage actions. I will keep the stock barrel on mine if it shoots well just re Chambered.
Only thing I've found is you have to mod the magazine a bit so it cycles or it's clunky.
What are your thoughts? Not ideal but I will mainly use it for practice and banging steal. 300gr Berger for now and maybe the 340 if it is true and comes out.

Would it be safe. If you go off the same pressure signals as normal wouldn't the pressure be the same thus safe? If the same brass is used and same caution when finding max load it shouldn't be higher pressure should it. I would just need a longer barrel to get max gains?

Same case head diameter will equal the same pressures though improving the case design tends to lower bolt thrust because the case takes more. I'm thinking about picking up one of the Stealth models in 338 Lapua, I think would sell the barrel and chamber a new one in 338 Norma mag to run out of the mag at a better coal.

Big green thanks that what I wanted to know. Just wanted to make sure it would be safe. As I've found a few people doing them but very few on savage and wanted to make sure. I didn't think of the Norma now you have my wheels turning. What would you expect from the 300 leg Berger as far as fps?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.