338 Lapua Improved

Erik Kiser

Has anyone played around with neck tension. My die has a .365 bushing in it now. Just wondered if anyone has tried more or less. Loaded rounds are .3675-.3680. Rifle is a single shot.

Another question to anyone shooting Hornady 285 ELD's. How much are you jumping them? Gonna load some next week with RL33

I have some of the 262 gr Hammers but I don't have the powder I want for them. I do have some H1000. That should work ok but I'm gonna try these 285's first. All I've shot out of it so far are 300 gr Berger's but I'm not satisfied with the groups. Not sure if it's seating depth, neck tension or it just doesn't like the bullet but something isn't quite right

Anyone seen results from playing with neck tension .001" either way on bigger cartridges. I know the benchrest guys really pay attention to it

the guys I shoot with did try the 285 ELD's , I'm not sure why they stopped using them . maybe just availability ?? now they are using the 300 A-tips . the A-tips seem to do ok , not sure about hunting though . I've had good luck with the 300 gr Berger's . as long as I can find them I'll stick with them . I did buy some nosler 300 gr custom competition bullets , but I haven't tried them yet . the price was considerably less than Bergers . I like to shoot what I hunt with , but if the Noslers work out ok , I'll probably shoot more of them through the off season . then get things set up for the Bergers for hunting .

I bought a set of the 21st century neck mandrels. I haven't messed around with them yet either . I'm going to explore this some , see if I can find something good .

I've only used RL33 in mine . I'm getting low and can't find it . I was able to get N570 . I've messed a little with it , and like what I see so far .

First I think any 300 gr bullet will do it job it's brighter at 50 percent weight than most everything else I hunt with.
Second isn't 570 close to 26 than 33.
Man I wish it was t so hard to ship powder. My local ship has a good amount of 33.

the guys I shoot with did try the 285 ELD's , I'm not sure why they stopped using them . maybe just availability ?? now they are using the 300 A-tips . the A-tips seem to do ok , not sure about hunting though . I've had good luck with the 300 gr Berger's . as long as I can find them I'll stick with them . I did buy some nosler 300 gr custom competition bullets , but I haven't tried them yet . the price was considerably less than Bergers . I like to shoot what I hunt with , but if the Noslers work out ok , I'll probably shoot more of them through the off season . then get things set up for the Bergers for hunting .

I bought a set of the 21st century neck mandrels. I haven't messed around with them yet either . I'm going to explore this some , see if I can find something good .

I've only used RL33 in mine . I'm getting low and can't find it . I was able to get N570 . I've messed a little with it , and like what I see so far .
You're gonna like the N 570

First I think any 300 gr bullet will do it job it's brighter at 50 percent weight than most everything else I hunt with.
Second isn't 570 close to 26 than 33.
Man I wish it was t so hard to ship powder. My local ship has a good amount of 33.
RL26 is faster than N570 . N570 should make a little more velocity , with a couple grains less powder , and slightly less case fill than RL33 .

Recent Posts