Savage 116FCSS in .300 Win Mag

SavageScott

I have been waiting over a year to see if the local Bass Pro would get this gun in! I had the same rifle in 30.06, and like an IDIOT traded it (dumb dumb dumb). The 30.06 would put 3 bullets darn near through the same hole @ 100 yards. If my new Savage is anything like the other one I'm in good shape!

Anyone else had good luck with these?

I too am a big fan of this rifle. I bought one last march, and after topping it with the huskemaw 5x20x50 Blue diamond, and developing a load it loves using a 185 berger, This rifle is capable of putting a5 shot group into 2.58 inchs at 600 yards. not bad for a rifle that cost $568.00 at the local bi-mart. I was shooting sillohoutte chickens at 880 last week and sending them tumbling.gun)

Thanks Bowhunter42! You know, I let critics make me believe Savages were just for the people that couldn't afford Brownings--- BIG mistake! These guys at Savage are definitely doing something right. The only issue that I will agree with is the shape/ look of the Accustock. It's ugly!

I will admit however that my next rifle will be an Xbolt Medallion. That would be another rifle that I had and traded-off (stupid stupid STUPID)!!

Hey savagescott, I agree with the xbolt, Great rifle and easy to get bergers to shoot out of. not a big fan of the a-bolt though. but for me im gonna stick with my savage's. I have had great luck with the 2 I have and both shoot extremely well for a budget rifle. . Im already planning on a new 111 lrh in 338 lapua in my near future.

I agree, I have had a few Abolts but they never quite measured up to the Savages or Xbolts so I got rid of them. My plan, when I get the new Medallion here soon is to scope both rifles and take them right to the range and see which one performs better. I'm going to record it do I can post the results.

I am almost positive that this is the same rifle my brother bought at Bi Mart a few years ago in 300Win. It too was a wonderful shooter with 168VLD handloads at 3100fps. It darn near shot better than my custom rifle. The only complaint I have with it is the flimsy synthetic stock. With a bipod on it, it will twist side to side very easy and even to the point that it can touch the barrel if you're not careful. I believe with a nice stock it would shoot even better.

I am almost positive that this is the same rifle my brother bought at Bi Mart a few years ago in 300Win. It too was a wonderful shooter with 168VLD handloads at 3100fps. It darn near shot better than my custom rifle. The only complaint I have with it is the flimsy synthetic stock. With a bipod on it, it will twist side to side very easy and even to the point that it can touch the barrel if you're not careful. I believe with a nice stock it would shoot even better.
I took my stock and added some square steel rods in the foreend and bedded from mag well forward to the end of the stock on my 116. not only did this stiffen the stock and add some weight, it also helped it shoot a little more consistant. this rifle will put a shot from a clean cold bore into the same group as a bore that has 50 rounds down it,poi is the same. I also have a best of the west signature series on loan from the best of the west, Let me tell you this rifle is a shooting machine, but my savage shoots just as well. I know not every savage off the line shoots this good and I do feel lucky but you have to remember this is with a pencil thin barrel. I bought this just to show that I could take a factory rifle and with very little tinkering turn it into a very affordable longrange shooter, but this thing shoots beyond even my expectations.

I also have this rifle and love it. It can shoot a 3/8" five shot group at 100 yards. Unbelievable accuaracy; especially for the price tag. Most everyone that sees my gun and targets says I got 'extremely lucky'. But, they just don't realize how far Savage has come. Maybe I should give them the link to this thread?

I have the same problem, people dont belive it when they see this thing shoot, My hunting partner saw how well mine shot and went out and ordered the bear hunter with a 26in barrel and his shoots just as well as mine, and I did do the same bedding job on his as I did on mine. I had him out shooting soda bottles at 807 with me when I got his all done. Ya I would say savage has come along way!:)

I should also mention I'm shooting 180 gr. Barnes TTSX through mine. The buck in my signature fell to this combination.

I meant to mention last night that thats one heck of a buck, Did you have him scored by chance? and what is that savage of yours wearing for a scope? Jay

Thanks! I forget what he scored exactly but it was right around 140. I had a Zeiss on my Savage when I shot the buck but it has a VX-III 6.5-20x40 now.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.