Savage 116 barrel life expectancy

DartonJager

I own a a Savage 116 weather warrior with factory Savage muzzle brake, the type you can twist on or off. I bought it over 17 years ago and best estimate I shot it less than 75 times, VERY accurate rifle.

Was wondering what the barrel life is like on this rifle if one shoots reloads that are consistently 2 grains or more under max.
Thanks,
DJager

I own a a Savage 116 weather warrior with factory Savage muzzle brake, the type you can twist on or off. I bought it over 17 years ago and best estimate I shot it less than 75 times, VERY accurate rifle.

Was wondering what the barrel life is like on this rifle if one shoots reloads that are consistently 2 grains or more under max.
Thanks,
DJager

Depends on caliber, how hot you get it and how clean you keep it. Even with magnums and reasonable care should be minimum of 1000 rds and could be 2-3x more.

Depends on caliber, how hot you get it and how clean you keep it. Even with magnums and reasonable care should be minimum of 1000 rds and could be 2-3x more.

Great to know as I keep my rifles can and never allow the barrels to heat up while firing. I have a laser thermometer that I use to monitor barrel temp to insure they don't get het enough to be damaging. This savage also has a pretty thick fluted barrel.
Thanks
DJager

Barrel depends on several factors. Caliber, load, conditions, and most importantly, what your requirement is for accuracy. My 308's run a barrel life of 2100-2300 rounds, when accuracy erodes from .2-.4MOA to .5-.75MOA. These rifles are shot with long strings, very hot during the summer months in competition. Under milder conditions with a lower accuracy requirement, they would likely go +2x that rate and last a lifetime for some shooters/hunters. My magnums and standard +3000FPS rifles that are treated far less aggressively, but held to the same accuracy standard, on average deliver 1000-1500 rounds of barrel life. I do think that excessive worrying about barrel life can be counterproductive to shooting enjoyment. When I replace a shot out barrel I get a sense of satisfaction that it has likely served me well and delivered the goods.

I do think that excessive worrying about barrel life can be counterproductive to shooting enjoyment. When I replace a shot out barrel I get a sense of satisfaction that it has likely served me well and delivered the goods.[/QUOTE]

Excellent point! Never thought about it like that, as I enjoy VERY few things more in life than shooting and shooting well.

I believe it will last you a lifetime at the rate your shooting it. 4.5 shots a year. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.