Barrel life???

Mossy49

Is barrel life longer than my 300RUM?? Wondering on a round count for a barrel? Thanks for info.

I haven't shot mine in a while, but it's got around 750 down the tube and still shooting some tight cloverleafs (1/2 MOA)...I'd almost bet she's got another 750 in her. But barrel life is one of thise things that's really hard to give someone an estimate on. It's really a one-on-one thing with your gun, and how well you treat it, and don't let it get overheated.

Thanks Broz and Mudrunner2005. Trying to decide on a new rifle build and I'm coming with the 338 EDGE or a 7mm of some type. I'm thinking barrel life will be longer in the EDGE. Both will work well up here in Alaska. I'm just to the point where I can't decide between the two.

Thanks Broz and Mudrunner2005. Trying to decide on a new rifle build and I'm coming with the 338 EDGE or a 7mm of some type. I'm thinking barrel life will be longer in the EDGE. Both will work well up here in Alaska. I'm just to the point where I can't decide between the two.

Why not a 7mm-300 WinMag? That another great caliber.

I love my 7mm STW, but it's not one of my rifles that I take to the range all the time and blow ammo through. And when the barrel is gone in it, I will rebarrel it with another 7mm STW barrel. If that helps give you an idea about how good of a caliber it is. It's one of those that once you have one, you will always have one.

You will most likely see some loss in accuracy by 1000 rounds. 700 in some cases depending on how it was used and other factors.

Jeff

yep, usually.... my sendero in stw was babied and she was still stooting .4 to .5 moa at well over 1000 shots (my estimate was 1400 based on number of bullet boxes shot through it). My current rifle is north of 400 shots already and just seems to be coming in to its own. That'll last 500-1000 shots and then I'll be getting it re-barreled.

Beat on it by running overloads through it and letting it get hot and you could be fried out in 500 shots.

I agree with mud. Once you have one it will have a permanent place in your arsenal.
Barrels firing these bigger cases are a lot like underwear. Do your best to keep them clean but every so often they just need to be changed out with new.

I shoot a 300 win with 215 Bergers when not shooting the 338. When the release of the 195gr 7mm Bergers comes around That might change and maybe I will go back to the 7mm-300. Jury is still out on that one.

If going long and much past 1000 the benefits of a food .338 will show up even to Ray Charles.

Jeff

Thanks for the info. Now just need to find me donor action and go from there. Hope the weather is good down there for you guys, lower 48 is getting a little of our Alaskan weather and most people down there are not use to the weather that we have for about 6 months out of the year.

Thanks for the info. Now just need to find me donor action and go from there. Hope the weather is good down there for you guys, lower 48 is getting a little of our Alaskan weather and most people down there are not use to the weather that we have for about 6 months out of the year.

Yeah, we got snow right now where I am...Highly unusual for Alabama, especially this time of year. Usually if it's gonna snow, it snows around the end of December early January.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.