Savage 111 LRH 6.5-284 Loading Questions

If you have a short enough throat and can seat the bullets deep enough to not cause issues then awesome. I could only go .010 max and didn't have enough bullet seated. My rifle also didn't like the smaller jump.
Happy for you man.

Thanks Brent. More shooting will tell consistency. I tried jumping them all the way out to .100" with less than stellar results. I did get some groups but every group had flyers. 1 or 2 shots that would be 1" from the group when jumping them.

Shot another group today to confirm my load. I have to say, I couldn't be happier. I know it's hard to tell in the picture but I can assure you you there's 3 shots in that picture.

Details
_________

Gun: Savage 111 Long Range Hunter
Caliber: 6.5-284 Norma
Barrel: Stock Savage barrel 24" 26" at brake muzzle
Scope: Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44PA
Mount: Murphy Precision SS 20 MOA Cant
Rings: Leupold PRS Steel Rings

Load Data:

Brass: Lapua
Bullet: Berger VLD Hunting 140 grain
B.C.: .313 G7
Powder: Hodgdon 4831SC 52.7 grains
Length: 3.2375" --0.01" Jam into lands
Best group 3 shots @ 100 yards = 0.17"

Picture: 3 shots @100 yards measuring 0.17"
*Note the picture shows up sideways on my iPad. Impact is at about 12:30 (200 yard zero)

Pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 78
Thanks Greyfox. Took me a lot of load work and tuning to get here, but all worth it now. Thanks for all the help a long the way. I really appreciate it.

Jared

No problem, glad to help out...your persistance really paid off with a nice load. The performance of those Savage LRH's is quite good. This is what mine does at 500 Yards with H4831sc ad 140 Bergers. I have a $x000 rig that doesn't do better! I won y LRH at an egg shoot a few years ago, and was quite surprised with it's accuracy! Bought a few other Savages since and have had similiar results.

Attachments

• IMG_0128.jpg
    IMG_0128.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 99
That's great!!!!! I, like you, have been beating my head I to the wall.
I've shot 60 rounds give or take with nothing even looking like a group!!
I will try your load data and see where I get.
Thanks a bunch

Greyfox and I both have similar results regarding the speed. 54 grains H4831sc gave me 2900 FPS. so I bet he is dead on. 50 gr H4350 was 2850. I looked at my notes and I could only seat .015 as max due to my chamber having a long throat. I don't feel comfortable having a low bullet depth in the neck of the case and they seemed very fragile.

I burned 4x what you did getting a better load set up, although I had decent sub MOA accuracy out of the rounds. I always liked the smallest jump I could get but both my Savages fell in love with .100 out. I did notice when I do bullet seating depth checks that I need to push the bullet firmly into the lands, set my gauge, and then push the bullet back out with the cleaning rod. For some reason there is slight hang up spot with a little extra force it goes in a bit further.

Guess it is time to find the pressure node and work back down. Good job again. Happy for you.

Brent. If you push the bullet in real far,until they tighten up or whatever, that could be the difference. I usually just lightly touch the bullets to the lands when measuring the chamber. So shoving it in at measure a lot of jump.

First I liked to say this has been one great thread for info on the 6.5. I was at a loss because my load went south due to the temp change as the powder was not temp stable. Bolt lift was a lot tighter than I liked and I was seeing pressure sign on my brass. So I took some advice and tried the retumbo. At 57grn with the 140VLD I'm right at an average velocity of 2858fps. This was done with fed 210 match primers. I did try the 57.5 and they pushed up to 2900 fps for 3 shots. I think now I will back off .1 or .2 grains for something like 56.8 to get it to 2845 which is what my turret is set at. I did take the last 2900fps round and shoot a rock I ranged at 518. From the shot it looks like I was about 1 to 2 inches high. Next week I hope to make it to the big gun range down in Price to finish up. I think it will be relatively easy. As all the load I shot today were printing right around a 1 inch group or less at 100yrds. I was not on a bench and my screw came out of my bi-pod somewhere at home so my shooting rest was not the best. For the 518yrd shot I shot off the top of my truck hood on my sand bag and was pretty stable. As with this round of shooting I was mainly concerned with the velocity because I pretty much though the gun would print the loads well. And probably one very important issue was that hard bolt lift from my old load. None of the retumbo loads had hard bolt lift which just made this so much more to my liking. Like I said this has been a great thread.

Well guys I just loaded 52-54.5 of h4831 seated at the lands. Going to shoot Monday and see how they fair!!!!
Have 140 gr Bergers. Still
Plenty of case left for more. May try retumbo if these done do well. I have. 3 pounds of RL 33 I might try too.
And this follows suit with the subject. I have a LR 111 6.5x284 using lapua brass, 215 champion primers( not sure the difference between these and match 215). And Berger 140 hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.