Savage 110 Reliable? Weaknesses?

If they state because the bolt is too small, then why do other companies offer .590 face in .700, .725 and .750 diameters. Supposedly that's the weak link?

Savage haters are only that...haters. My Ultralight experience has been nothing but good and I've shot and hunted hell out of it for three years now. No problems feeding or extracting and balls-on accurate. I've had lemons form every brand of rifle - my latest being a Sako S20 - and as to Bergara - don't make me laugh! They've had major extraction and barrel issues over the years and continue to run fixes on their line. The only reason most people who hate Savage 110s do so, is the fact they shoot too well for their price - and that can be a bit embarrassing when you've dropped a few $k on a gun and the guy next to you is banging the same gongs at 700 yards for $600!
I`d say that most of the complaints that I`ve seen concerning Savage rifles have centered around extraction/ejection issues, bad or subpar synthetic stocks and rough actions, especially when compared to brands such as Tikka. Usually those that are truly "Savage haters" don`t differentiate between models ( 110 and Axis lines ) and lump all together and " all Savages suck ". For example, there were indeed extraction and ejection issues concerning the 6.5 Creedmoor round. Those issues were somehow applied to ALL Savage rifles, regardless of caliber. I shoot and have thoroughly enjoyed both of my Savage rifles, neither has experienced any functional issues other than some resolved magazine problems, and both, especially the 110 in .223, are VERY accurate and precise.

I`d say that most of the complaints that I`ve seen concerning Savage rifles have centered around extraction/ejection issues, bad or subpar synthetic stocks and rough actions, especially when compared to brands such as Tikka. Usually those that are truly "Savage haters" don`t differentiate between models ( 110 and Axis lines ) and lump all together and " all Savages suck ". For example, there were indeed extraction and ejection issues concerning the 6.5 Creedmoor round. Those issues were somehow applied to ALL Savage rifles, regardless of caliber. I shoot and have thoroughly enjoyed both of my Savage rifles, neither has experienced any functional issues other than some resolved magazine problems, and both, especially the 110 in .223, are VERY accurate and precise.
So, the extraction issues you've had were due to what.......not enough tension, breakage or other?

Sorry, maybe I gave the wrong impression. I personally have had no extraction or ejection issues with either of my Savage rifles, just relating what`s been reported by others.
With 3 factory 110's (2 300wm, 1 338lm) they all work perfectly since day 1. Now with 2 110 action builds I'll find out if either have issue(s). BTW, rem700's and their issues for decades should tell stories also. I've heard issues with tikka, howa and may more, so for those who bash 1 company over another in this imperfect world of firearms are able too like what they want.

Probably right on everyone having faults, the rem 700 is the only one that's almost upgradeable to perfect. I was initially attracted towards savage for the diy angle. Keep in mind at the time Tikka was just the sako equivalent to a ruger American. Howa was (sorta still is) dependent on offshore mfg and wildly fluctuating features and stock. At the time I came of age the 70 had gone offshore and the jury was still out, 700 platform hadn't become as dominate but was still the most adopted and the 77 probably sold more but had much less aftermarket. Savage also had a fairly involved ceo that seemed to have an idea of how to get in front of the market and offset some of the sins of the recent past.

My first non hand me down rifle was a 12 in 300 wsm that got dropped into a takeoff m5 stock. That rifle got shot, and shot, and shot. My living room had no TV, just a couch and a reloading table where the coffee table should be. When I wanted another rifle, I stuck to the pattern and built my next two on 16 and 116 actions. As time moved on so did the guns, evolving to nicer stocks, scopes and barrels. Problem for me is neither have held up like my original 12. While the 12 has probably 2-3x as many rounds as the 116 and 16, it's trigger and bolt still function and have needed 0 replacement parts. So I have guns I trust for varmints and targets, that I wouldn't trust on a multi plane/packraft once in a lifetime hunt. Not really a huge issue as there are other guns for that, and there is still fun at the range and on varmints to be had.

Conversely. Had I used a 700 and had the factory action dissolve... I'd swap the barrel, stock, trigger and dbm over and only be out the price of an action.

It's all a function of what you plan to do with each gun. Do you want to try that new prc with a proof barrel? Will you probably get a zero and practice once a month or less until the next new hotness comes out? Savage is probably the way to go for maximum value for minimum dollar.

Just curious. Was there something unique to the Savage brand that led to your dislike of the 300 Win mag?
Not really, i had rebarreled the lefty action with a top quality barrel, and i had replaced the stock with a nice laminated thumbhole.
But it wasent an enjoyable gun to shoot, mainly due the recoil.
Larger cartridge guns naturally produce more recoil, and as a result are less likely to produce the accuracy most of us like.
Unless they are heavier, and have a muzzel brake, which this one didnt.
Non the less, it was attractive, which is why the guy i sold it to bought it.

If they state because the bolt is too small, then why do other companies offer .590 face in .700, .725 and .750 diameters. Supposedly that's the weak link?
Well if you go over to the Savage Shooters website, you will find that they made a ( sticky) out of the discussion about using the Savage action for building larger cartridge guns, like the 338 Lapua for example.
There is a guy by name of Fred over there who uses the name Sharpshooter on the site.
He is the Savage guru there, he is also a gunsmith, and he operates a business in Ohio called Sharpshooter Supply.
He cites his reasons for not recommending the use of the Savage action on even the ultra mag cartridges.
He is also a highly competetive bench rest shooter, as i understand he has or maybe even still holds group records. Shot with guns he built using Savage actions.
So this guy is no neophyte fool talking thru his hat.
He claims he has seen first hand the issues in using them for large cartridges.

The small shank issue brought about the worry over the fat boy cartridges, bigger shank seems to have fixed that. Bighorn seems to make the thread design work...

Only had one interaction with sss, but I'm a quick learner so one was all it took. Come to think about it stockade was about as much fun to deal with and it only took one interaction....

Back on subject.

Savage historically was the tinkerers rifle, in an age of prefits and changing market support I'd argue thats not the case as much anymore. They have several spacing differences as well as bolt releases, and an equal amount of bits and bots for bottom metal and mags. Heck even with stockys jumping in with some new models, you could name the aftermarket stock support on one hand. If you are a endless rifle changer it probably is worth while to go 700 platform straight out the gate.

If you like the factory option and leave most stuff alone, they are probably worth it. They certainly seem to be relatively quick to adapt and adopt cartridges.

On reliability and weakness.... I'm not getting rid of mine but I'll not be buying anymore, if that makes sense.

The small shank issue brought about the worry over the fat boy cartridges, bigger shank seems to have fixed that. Bighorn seems to make the thread design work...

Only had one interaction with sss, but I'm a quick learner so one was all it took. Come to think about it stockade was about as much fun to deal with and it only took one interaction....

Back on subject.

Savage historically was the tinkerers rifle, in an age of prefits and changing market support I'd argue thats not the case as much anymore. They have several spacing differences as well as bolt releases, and an equal amount of bits and bots for bottom metal and mags. Heck even with stockys jumping in with some new models, you could name the aftermarket stock support on one hand. If you are a endless rifle changer it probably is worth while to go 700 platform straight out the gate.

If you like the factory option and leave most stuff alone, they are probably worth it. They certainly seem to be relatively quick to adapt and adopt cartridges.

On reliability and weakness.... I'm not getting rid of mine but I'll not be buying anymore, if that makes sense.
If you read what he says, it has nothing at all to do with small shank/ large shank actions.
But a weakness in the action in the loading port area when used with heavy recoiling cartridges.

Back on subject.

Large shank FTW then? I know with their newer big cartridges they have changed them a bit. Not sure what all changes were made, but MDT and other chassis and stock makers note this about compatibility when purchasing. As for the person in OH I'm not doubting what he states only finding best solutions/precautions. I do know you can't buy a factory 110 action with a larger bolt face than .535 and that might be the reason. If I want a Savage type them I'll go Zermatt. The only issue is getting stocks/chassis for large style, but I don't know why that would make a difference when the action spacing is the same?

If you read what he says, it has nothing at all to do with small shank/ large shank actions.
But a weakness in the action in the loading port area when used with heavy recoiling cartridges.

I guess I'd tend to agree with this observation. My 375 slowly dissolves itself and my 270 wsm took a lot longer but seems to be starting to do the same. It's mostly bolt related stuff but anecdotally my higher recoiling savages clearly don't seem to be able to cope with higher rates of fire.

Large shank FTW then? I know with their newer big cartridges they have changed them a bit. Not sure what all changes were made, but MDT and other chassis and stock makers note this about compatibility when purchasing. As for the person in OH I'm not doubting what he states only finding best solutions/precautions. I do know you can't buy a factory 110 action with a larger bolt face than .535 and that might be the reason. If I want a Savage type them I'll go Zermatt. The only issue is getting stocks/chassis for large style, but I don't know why that would make a difference when the action spacing is the same?

I'll stick to my guns, if you plan on a rebarrel and a re stock go 700 clone. So I'd agree on the zermatt origin. Gone are the day of sub or near 200$ shaw and mcgowen savage tubes.

I have an 80s 110 Flat Back action I picked up on here. Finding internal box mags was tough. Had issues with the safety not working, but was able to get a GS to correct it. After market on the older versions has been challenging. Only stock I could find that I wanted was from McMillan, Manners used to make for them, but now only the newer ones. Had to send the barreled action to them to fit it. They no longer list them either so wondering it that too has been canx.

Apparently my money was no good with Stockade...

There is hope...Mesa Precision (changed their name and can't remmeber it) is going to be making stocks. Aftermarket CF pre-fits for the tinkerer.

I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to add that I was told by a very talented gun maker and shooter that I needed a bolt larger than a .700" to handle Lapua bolt face cartridges (Including the Norma Mags because that's what I was trying to build. At the time, all of the aftermarket actions offered .750" bolts, and that's what he stated was necessary. However, now, there are some who split the difference and go with a .725" bolt diameter. Not sure what the Savage .338 Lapua Long Range was wearing, but I never heard of but 1 sized bolt for them. Correct me if that one was larger. I've also been told that I must have a large shank to run an UM or Short Mag of any sort. While not larger than the belt diameter on a belted magnum of old, the .404 Jeffrey-based cartridges operate at 3,000 - 5,000 more PSI max avg pressure compared to many of the belted magnums. Maybe Roy Weatherby was correct making his massive 9-lug bolt.

All I will say is that if I ever decide to build my Norma Mag wildcat, I will be using an aftermarket action, not a Savage. The cycling of the action is not generally really smooth. There are some things that could be done to polish it up, perhaps. I am the occasional shooter/hunter, and therefore, probably couldn't shoot an expensive aftermarket any better at 3/4 mile than I could a Savage. I am that giy with minimal skill who enjoys the heck out of screwing on a pre-fit barrel and shooting bugholes @100yds, since most shots here on game occur at around that distance. I think the worst I've done has been with a Shilen Select Match .308 Match pre-fit that would group no better than around 5/8 - 11/16" @100yds. The best I've done is a couple that would shoot tiny clusters with holes all connecting around 0.188" @100yds with a Varmint weight Criterion in 6.5x47 Lapua, and a Preferred Barrel Blanks wildcat .270 caliber based on a necked up Creedmoor with special throating. I had a black olastic Axis in .270 Win that shot 1/2" right from the factory with a little support under the barrel channel. Then I've had a new Axis 6mm ARC shoot maybe 1 1/2" @100yds, and a .300 Win Mag in the Model 111 Long Range Hunter that wouldn't hold 2 1/2 - 3" @100yds. It is fun to tinker, though.

I will agree that the Savages are not nearly as big a draw now as they were even 10 - 20 years ago. The quality has seemed to decline of some of the parts, and the top bolt release has given way to the new Tupperware 110 dipped in various color schemes and outfitted with spiraled or carbon wrapped barrels. The lapping process is atrocious. (What lapping process?!?!) I am currently moving from Boyd's stocks to chassis systems and then on to aftermarket actions like ARC and Kelbly because they are designed to run Remington stocks, triggers, and bottom metals. The disadvantage is cost. With more money to play with, I can build nicer toys. With little funding, I can still by a functional and accurate hunting rifle, bit may not be able to customize it as much as I'd like. As more makers of parts shift to supply M5 bottom metals, actuons with contiguous recoil lugs and rails that have a shorter throw/faster lock time and the all-important butter-smooth action with carbon barrels and stocks, there are going to be fewer Savage parts made. The only thing that may survive is the action thread pattern because some aftermarket companies have adopted it- namely Zermatt and ARC. What it has going for it is that the price of the aftermarket actions and component builds is a barrier to many working folk that could buy 2 Mossbergs (or more) for the cost of just an action. With the price of the Savages steadily increasing, however; there are a few (at least) options less expensive than the high end Savages that are MUCH better rifles.