Savage 110 BA 338 any good?? .300WM more reliable??

azpaleo

Hi,
I have been wanting to get at .338 and have been looking at the Savage 110 BA LH, but noticed that many of the people who own this particular rifle in this caliber have many problems with the rifle. Most of the problems seem to be stuck brass. This is not including the Hornady brass issue. A lot of people are fed up with their 110 BA in .338. I have been on the fence about the .338 vs. .300 win mag, but have plenty of nice .308's, so I thought the .338 would be a better choice. I'm still not sure if I should just get the Savage in .338 and hope for the best, or just get the .300 and use commercial ammo. I don't reload and after buying the rifle, scope, rangefinder, and Kestrel meter, I am probably not going to invest in reloading at this time. I had an idea of just getting the 110 BA LH .300 win mag where there are no stated issues with any ammo, throw on my Night force 3.5-15x50 and get some good 190 grain match ammo and go to the range. The .338 seems to be so involved and quite a bit more of a commitment including a new $1,000+ scope for the 20X size. I have no idea at all what to do. Maybe I should be wise and do nothing..... Maybe LMT will come out with a .300 Win Mag upper for the MWS and I'm set......... Maybe they won't......... What do you guys think? I am in southern Arizona and can easily find 1500-2000 yards unobstructed with a backstop to shoot all day long......

Hi,
I have been wanting to get at .338 and have been looking at the Savage 110 BA LH, but noticed that many of the people who own this particular rifle in this caliber have many problems with the rifle. Most of the problems seem to be stuck brass. This is not including the Hornady brass issue. A lot of people are fed up with their 110 BA in .338. I have been on the fence about the .338 vs. .300 win mag, but have plenty of nice .308's, so I thought the .338 would be a better choice. I'm still not sure if I should just get the Savage in .338 and hope for the best, or just get the .300 and use commercial ammo. I don't reload and after buying the rifle, scope, rangefinder, and Kestrel meter, I am probably not going to invest in reloading at this time. I had an idea of just getting the 110 BA LH .300 win mag where there are no stated issues with any ammo, throw on my Night force 3.5-15x50 and get some good 190 grain match ammo and go to the range. The .338 seems to be so involved and quite a bit more of a commitment including a new $1,000+ scope for the 20X size. I have no idea at all what to do. Maybe I should be wise and do nothing..... Maybe LMT will come out with a .300 Win Mag upper for the MWS and I'm set......... Maybe they won't......... What do you guys think? I am in southern Arizona and can easily find 1500-2000 yards unobstructed with a backstop to shoot all day long......

Well for sure you wouldnt want to be added to any list of people with problems.
And as you yerself said, you just might not find any Hornady brass that might help you with that. And since your real familiar with 308s anyway, my vote goes to the
300 win mag. That will give you a little time to get up to speed with the other stuff you will be gettin also without any distractions. Good luck, im sure you'll have an
actuall blast shootin all day in southern Arizona.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.