Savage 10 BA Stealth vs Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor

adamsoa

I'm looking at picking up a 6.5 in either the Savage or the Ruger. These rifles seem very similar and I've read good reviews on both. Any recommendations.

Savage weighs 1lb 4oz less if that is a factor as a hunting rig.

Otherwise I have no other experience in this particular model.
I have extensive experience in a 10BA regular model ,it gets high marks in my book.

The Stealth is supposed to have a 'factory blueprinted action'. It also has a 5R rifled barrel. I think it would be very well built and durable since it is a Savage law enforcement series rifle. Plus if you don't like the Drake chassis you could put the barreled action on a traditional stock and have a mighty fine rifle.

The RPR will always be a RPR with enough holes to hang enough tacticool wingy dingys on to sink a battleship, if that's your thing. :rolleyes:

Looks like the drake chassis and Savage action combo is well tested and received with some military use in Afghanistan and military sniper comps. Don't think the RPR is targeted a law enforcement or military at all.

Link shows the Drake/Savage combo in use
https://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=16&f=3&t=3252

I would go with the savage over the ruger for sure. I have a standard BA in lapua and a RPR in creedmoor and the build quality I feel are a ways apart. the RPR is a neat concept rifle with many qualities that shooters apreciate but the action design is not that great and I've had light striking issues with it since day one.
The savage is a time proven action in a good solid chassis and higher end savage barrels are phenomenal for out of the box accuracy.
Just my 2 cents

Saw both in action over the weekend at a LR match. Both .308's. The Stealth was actually my .308 savage 10FPSR in a LSS chassis but it's effectively identical and it's been worked over and trued. Both were plenty accurate shooting hand loads. Mine were 168's, his were 175's.

The RPR butt stock certainly looked to have more adjustment capability and a cooler look but it (the rifle) was also bulky and seemed to require a lot of effort on the bolt to strip a round and chamber it compared to the savage/LSS setup with AI mags.

I'm personally not a fan of long AR style barrel shrouds on a bolt gun. They usually get in the way of a nice low scope mount. The RPR is no exception on that point however the design of the RPR brings the bolt up relative to the head position by almost an inch which means you don't need such a tall cheek piece off the stock attachment tube like you do on the Stealth and you don't have to shoot from such a tall head up position which for my money is a more comfortable shooting position to be in.

If I were to buy a Stealth today I'd expect more or less what I currently have. An accurized Savage in a nice chassis stock. If I were to buy a ruger I'd expect some ergonomic improvements over the Savage but an equal number of things that swing the other direction.

All in all, I'd take an out of the box Stealth over an out of the box RPR but I'd wish for a few minutes that the Stealth had been designed to be what it is rather than adapted to be. The RPR is at least designed to be what it is and carries that off pretty well.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.