salt bath nitride and velocity

I had about a 25' increase in my 30/375 S.I. but I was never really sure whether it was slicker or increased pressure? Contrary to advertising, I do believe that there is a slight shrinking of bore size? IMO....rich

Hard to get an apples to apples comparison, without commercial grade pressure testing equipment in use.
Also, nitriding a barrel is normally done before the barrel has been completely broken in and seasoned, which means velocity has typically not stabilized before nitride treatment. So how does one compare... Compare to what?
I would not nitride a barrel for additional velocity. Other reasons - yes.
Commonly accepted is that nitride treatment will reduce friction. If that's true, then nitrided barrels should be capable of additional velocity at equal pressures. How much, is your question... a little would be my guess... Comparable to HBN coated bullets - which also reduce bullet to bore friction.

How about nitride and coated bullets? More friction reduction is better or too much of a good thing?

I like the nitride for cleaning and even for a good looking, durable finish. The rest I'm not sure about yet?
As far as HBN goes, I know a lot of people seem to like it but my personal experience is that I really didn't see any difference. Sometimes I think that having a very good quality, smooth, consistent barrel is better left alone.

How about nitride and coated bullets? More friction reduction is better or too much of a good thing?
All else being equal, less bullet to bore friction is better, IMO.
No detrimental effects that come to mind.
Bullet design with less bullet bearing surface is another example of less friction = a positive, desirable effect.

Last spring I had two barrels nitrided... one didn't survive.

One was a CM Douglas XX 35 cal. sporter weight, it survived.

The other was a SS Mcgowen 26 cal heavy varmint , the same load with RL33 after nitriding blew primers. Went to H50bmg and still had pressure problems. Accuracy never recovered, not even close!
Both barrels were thoroughly broken in, cleaned to bare metal before nitriding, then cleaned very very thoroughly after nitriding.
To answer the OP question, the one that survived gained about 20fps with the same accuracy. However, the accuracy load increased .5 gr so I would really call it faster just that the load increased at the same pressure.

I didn't shot any of my rifles prior to the salt bath. But they all achieve very high mv and sub MOA accuracy.
I did had some issues with the dimensions changing slightly when treating the parts separately, but when I sent the barreled action fully assembled it worked great.
On the 7 mag I had to change the recoil lug because the chamber got .003" shorter and the cartridges wouldn't chamber, and on the .338 LM the muzzle break is slightly misaligned if you see it as a clock it is 1-2 minutes to the right. The 6.5 Creedmoor was treated fully assembled and it came out perfect.

338 LM 26" barrel
Berger otm 300gr
2872fps using 90gr H1000

7mm rem mag 26" barrel
Berger vld hunting 168gr
3240 fps using 73gr H1000

6.5cm 18.5" barrel
Hornady ELD-X 143gr
2771 FPS using 42gr IMR 4451

The above dimensionally changes are what are concerning to me! This thread is similar to others I've heard; some good some bad. If you get a good one you like it! I can't really say I don't like mine, but not sure whether I would do any more? I would like to hear/see, some real world data on longevity of the throat compared to non treated.....

had two done in last couple years both had dimensional changes. I put 3 shots through to check things are ok before treatment same load after showed pressure. they sure clean easy and ES in single digits. velocity is what was expected the little changes could just be just different barrel

Last spring I had two barrels nitrided... one didn't survive.

One was a CM Douglas XX 35 cal. sporter weight, it survived.

The other was a SS Mcgowen 26 cal heavy varmint , the same load with RL33 after nitriding blew primers. Went to H50bmg and still had pressure problems. Accuracy never recovered, not even close!
Both barrels were thoroughly broken in, cleaned to bare metal before nitriding, then cleaned very very thoroughly after nitriding.
To answer the OP question, the one that survived gained about 20fps with the same accuracy. However, the accuracy load increased .5 gr so I would really call it faster just that the load increased at the same pressure.
Any diagnosis on the cause?
Thoroughly broken in as in how many bullets down the bores prior to nitriding?
Same nitride company?
I saw one CM and one SS barrel. CM survived. SS died...

Same company at the same time.
The 26N had exactly 100 round and the .358 had 250 rounds.
No diagnosis, if I were to pick which one would fail I would have imagined that the small contour CM large bore. But it was the opposite.

My only guess is that the heat treating processes of the different manufacturers.
Also, both were button rifled barrels.

The above dimensionally changes are what are concerning to me! This thread is similar to others I've heard; some good some bad. If you get a good one you like it! I can't really say I don't like mine, but not sure whether I would do any more? I would like to hear/see, some real world data on longevity of the throat compared to non treated.....
After nitriding the 26N I lost .040" throat in 20 rounds!

controlled thermal did my barrels and the asked if barrels were ss or cm said process was different. if you had your barrels done together might be problem

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts