salt bath nitride and velocity

Well, that may be it.
I interviewed the interrogated the company before hand and they had experience with barrels but they never mentioned different processes.
Live and learno_O:(

I think it might be helpful to mention who did the barrels whether good or bad. I have been considering going chromoly for my next barrel for the very purpose of going nitride. Ive read it really helps chromoly more than SS.

I imagine just as all barrel makers aren't equal, not all nitriders are equal.

I was told early on when this first became popular to be SURE you knew the reputation/ record of the treating company. The temperature needed for a successful treat was only a few degrees short of losing the temper of the barrel.

Man, those stories are scary! I was going to have my new 7mm Rem Mag barrel nitrided, but the thought of scrapping a $400 barrel makes me want to puke just thinking about it....

Man, those stories are scary! I was going to have my new 7mm Rem Mag barrel nitrided, but the thought of scrapping a $400 barrel makes me want to puke just thinking about it....
Both of my 7mmRM (un-nitrided) SS barrels have over 1000 rounds fired. One has 1100 the other has almost 1300 and both still shoot from 1/2 to 5/8 moa.

The barrels I decided to have nitrided one was a wildcat chambering the other was vastly overbore.
Your 7mmRM will have a long and heathy life, keep it cool and clean every 75 rounds.

If I was nitriding a barrel I would do CM. I can tell you for a fact that nitriding affects SS more than CM. I measured the bores on alot of barrels before they went and after. CM for the most part nothing changed SS another matter. Was it the one doing the nitriding that's a possibility I don't know for sure because it was the only one I dealt with. I know the one I dealt with advertised about a well know shooter had his done by them I contacted him and he told me the first one it worked fine second one it ruined he told me he would never have another one done. A friend of his had one done and it shot fine at first but then started coppering horribly. They was pretty sure it was to slick so the roughed up the bore with JB paste as best the could the was fine for about 50 rounds but then started coppering up bad again.
I've never had one done I've thought about it but it seems like a crap shoot to have a good shooting barrel to take a chance on.

I have one in ss and one in cm. The cm I didn't have any BEFORE data to compare, but so far, I see no problems. It gets great velocity, cleans really easily, and another plus is when it is applied to the action and bolt, it makes for very smooth operation. I do agree that it is a crap shoot based on all the evidence though and am undecided on whether I will do another or not?

Same company at the same time.
The 26N had exactly 100 round and the .358 had 250 rounds.
No diagnosis, if I were to pick which one would fail I would have imagined that the small contour CM large bore. But it was the opposite.

My only guess is that the heat treating processes of the different manufacturers.
Also, both were button rifled barrels.
Bummer on the SS barrel that croaked!
This is my understanding, based on having researched the subject:
Nitriding barrels after firecracking forms in the throat is known to cause problems. So much so that some prefer to simply lap the throat section after cutting the chamber, and then send the barrel out for treatment with only a test round or two fired. Rule of thumb - limit the number of rounds fired before nitride treatment to less than around 50 shots.
As has been mentioned, the treatment process is different for SS versus CM.

I've nitrided two barrels. 1st was a Krieger CM barrel. BAT machine company was doing some work for me and sent it out to the company that nitride treats their actions.
2nd was a SS Bartlein. CTT in Phoenix, AZ nitrided this one.

No problems with either so far. Happy with both.

I have one in ss and one in cm. The cm I didn't have any BEFORE data to compare, but so far, I see no problems. It gets great velocity, cleans really easily, and another plus is when it is applied to the action and bolt, it makes for very smooth operation. I do agree that it is a crap shoot based on all the evidence though and am undecided on whether I will do another or not?

Don't forget the awesome rust protection. It is virtually impossible to have a rusty nitride barrel.

My limited experience with this is as follows: I got three rifles back same time, same outfit did all three. 30/375SI and the 6.5 Sherman back from black nitride back in August and found it curious how differently they both perform to each other and to the loads they both shot prior to nitride. The 6.5 shot 62.5 RL26 140 berger hunters at 3307 and nice groups and no evidence of pressure. After nitride had to reduce all the way back to 60.2 to not loosen primers and speeds of 3236 avg. 30/375SI shot 89.5 RL33 with 215s at 3214 avg. was it's best grouping and no pressure signs. Now it shoots the same load at 3150 with similar groups. Haven't tried upping that load since it's pretty happy. Also redid another rifle at the same time in 243AI. It shot 47 7828 with 105 hunters at 3235 before and same exact load now shoots same good group at 3265. Varying dimensional changes is all I could figure. The 6.5 Sherman and the 243AI both Bartlien SS. The 30/375SI CM Kreiger.

Jace

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts