Barrel and Action Nitride Coating

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
I can't find much on this in the search, at least newer than 5 years. What have you all seen with this? Barrel life and velocities? I know it makes it hard as all get out and you can't scratch it with a screwdriver. Nitrided actions are super smooth.

Chiming in with a little barrel info. My Grendel barrel came from the factory already Nitrided. The velocity seems to be average for the barrel length and it cleans up easy. It's easily a half minute gun with factory ammo, if not better out to 600 yards.

Interested to see more input.

I've been having barrels melonited since 2013. Barrel life after treatment appears to vary. I pulled a friend's 223 AR barrel with 10,741 used across the course service rifle. The last 600 yard score before being yanked out was 198-8. Shot 20 leaked, jitters I am sure. Did not want him to go to Perry with that much rounds from a barrel I did.

Yearly, I send anywhere from 12 to 24 barrels to the meloniting place close to home. Their core business is on oil drilling components. In fact, I had to talk them into doing barrels for me.

I mentioned many times I do barrels for the TX JRs. Yesterday, I just picked up the batch of 19 barrels along with a bunch of sizing dies, bushings, mandrels, and action bolts. They do not have FFL, so no action. These small stuff belong to some friends.

In the shop now I have 26 barrels to spin up, these will all get the meloniting when done, plus 20 more sizing dies for other friends.

Meloniting dies, bushings, and mandrels is well worth it. Back in my high power days when I shot 10k rounds a year I sent my brass to be commercially processed and primed. In the two D650s, the 1st stage is a 21st century universal expanding die. Both have melonited mandrels. I run brass through them with no lube. Next best thing to carbide.

On the kids' barrel we've seen degradation of X count at 600 that varies from barrels with 5K to 7K rounds. Pre-meloniting we pulled barrels at around 2.5K for degrading X count with the 80 class 224 bullets at 6. Now, the kids' barrels are pulled at 5K. We believe it is safe to assume meloniting at least doubles the precision life. For magasine length ammo in 75-77 class bullets, we believe we can shoot in excess of 10K and still hold a minute at 300.

I came from the benchrest world, I was trained to cut 90 degree straight crown. I believe in a melonited barrel the very sharp edge becomes brittle that could easily chip off. On one pulled barrel that went out earlier than predicted, under magnification I could see some micro chipping. I re-cut the crown with a coated carbide, this time with a chamfer, then took it back to the machine rest. Precision was restored and got re-issued.

File won't bite the melonited surface.

Last edited:
I've been having barrels melonited since 2013. Barrel life after treatment appears to vary. I pulled a friend's 223 AR barrel with 10,741 used across the course service rifle. The last 600 yard score before being yanked out was 198-8. Shot 20 leaked, jitters I am sure. Did not want him to go to Perry with that much rounds from a barrel I did.

Yearly, I send anywhere from 12 to 24 barrels to the meloniting place close to home. Their core business is on oil drilling components. In fact, I had to talk them into doing barrels for me.

I mentioned many times I do barrels for the TX JRs. Yesterday, I just picked up the batch of 19 barrels along with a bunch of sizing dies, bushings, mandrels, and action bolts. They do not have FFL, so no action. These small stuff belong to some friends. In the shop I have 26 barrels to spin up, these will all get the meloniting when done, plus another 20 sizing dies for other friends.

Meloniting dies, bushings, and mandrels is well worth it. Back in my high power days when I shot 10k rounds a year I sent my brass to be commercially processed and primed. In the two D650s, the 1st stage is a 21st century universal expanding die. Both have melonited mandrels. I run brass through them with no lube. Next best thing to carbide.

On the kids' barrel we've seen degradation of X count at 600 that varies from barrels with 5K to 7K rounds. Pre-meloniting we pulled barrels at around 2.5K for degrading X count with the 80 class 224 bullets at 6. Now, the kids' barrels are pulled at 5K. We believe it is safe to assume meloniting at least doubles the precision life. For magasine length ammo in 75-77 class bullets, we believe we can shoot in excess of 10K and still hold a minute at 300.

I came from the benchrest world, I was trained to cut 90 degree straight crown. I believe in a melonited barrel the very sharp edge becomes brittle that could easily chip off. On one pulled barrel that went out earlier than predicted, under magnification I could see some micro chipping. I re-cut the crown with a coated carbide, this time with a chamfer, then took it back to the machine rest. Precision was restored and got re-issued.

File won't bite the melonited surface.
Very interesting! So you can resize with a full length sizer without lube if nitrided?

What about precision?

I modified a Remington bolt gun to test AR15 barrels. The adapter plate accepts the AR15 competition barrel tenon, 20 TPI instead of the M16 16 TPI, and 0.300 longer. The 700-AR15 mounts on a machine rest.

We test the barrels with just the 600 yard ammo. We are not too concerned about the short line ammo.

If the last year's batch of melonited barrels tested, here is the summary.

No barrel shot larger than 3/4 MOA. Three barrels shot right around 0.3 MOA. The rest fell in between.

You should have at least one in the shop to play with LOL!
We just got back half a dozen or so and haven't had a chance to play with them yet. I guess time will tell. We have a couple that we will try and shoot the pizz out of and see if we can come up with any conclusions. I will try and change my ways and be abusive to them.

From what I gather, nitriding is a treatment and not a coating. It hardens the outer layer of the metal.
I have a nitrided Lone Peak action and yea, it is smooth... and after over 200 rounds the bolt lugs show zero wear of the black finish/color.

Of the three common surface hardening processes: Carburizing, Cyaniding and nitriding... nitriding leaves the hardest surface at 1000 vhn. The other two are 800 vhn and 900 vhn respectively.

Last edited: