Coating surgeon action?

Powerstroke73

My original plan was to use an older Remington 700 receiver I had laying around for a 300 Mag build. I've since settled on a surgeon 1086 action instead. It comes in the white unfinished. What would be the best way to finish the receiver? Blueing, duracoat, cerakote, parkerizing etc...? What about finishing the inside of the action? I'd like it to be as smooth as possible. Thanks

I had my Surgeon 591 Cerakoted and I love it. It's very durable and it has a great feel to it. Once the action and bolt is coated, you have to work it to help the finish "break in" and become smooth again.

Another option you can look at is salt bath. It's a chemical process that hardens the surface of the steel, and turns it a dark blackish color. After it's done, I don't know if you can put any other coating over it though.

I had my Surgeon 591 Cerakoted and I love it. It's very durable and it has a great feel to it. Once the action and bolt is coated, you have to work it to help the finish "break in" and become smooth again.

Another option you can look at is salt bath. It's a chemical process that hardens the surface of the steel, and turns it a dark blackish color. After it's done, I don't know if you can put any other coating over it though.

Speaking from personal experience Salt Bath Nitriding makes a good action great.

I would recommend lapping the lugs before sending it off though. I bought a Surgeon 1086R, Lapped the lugs using the medium and fine grit. Cleaned it thoroughly (Sonic Cleaner) and then had it treated. The end result is an action with field friendly tolerances that feels like it on ball bearings, stays clean (no lube) and shoots great.

Cleaning the action is a little bit of a pain. I sprayed the action down with Kroil and let it sit for a few days before cleaning the residual salts off, and even still had to use drill bits by hand to clean out all the pin holes.

All said, I feel it was well worth the effort.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.