Nitride a barrel?

Never did a barrel, but H&M would be the guys I would ask. They have done a handful of actions for me and did a great job.

Old article, but it explains some of the process.

Never did a barrel, but H&M would be the guys I would ask. They have done a handful of actions for me and did a great job.

Old article, but it explains some of the process.

Yes, H and M have done about 15 actions for me. I will have to call them and find out which process they use.

Yes, I have four nitrided barrels made by Faxon, who does salt bath nitriding on their 8.6 BLK barrels. Two in AR-10s and two bolt actions. They've shot well so far, but these are short range rifles and not for long range/precision work.

I want to get the process done to a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel and intentionally leave it in a bad storage location to see if it rusts inside or not/ still shoots decently or not.

I have heard from a well-know gunsmith who tried it that nitriding a bore works great, for awhile. However, Rather than a slow decline in accuracy as the throat wears, you get a sudden drop-off because the hardened nitrided steel breaks apart rather than erodes. Meaning, nitriding did not extend the accuracy life of the barrel, but, rather, shortened it.

I just had my first rifle barrel, bolt and action nitride treated. I have less than 30 rounds down the barrel, but it does seem to shoot fast. Reloading manuals show about 150 fps slower than what I am getting. Time will tell how it works out. Look forward to hearing other other people's experiences.