Sako Extractor Installation Video

Kevin Cram

Below is a video I made of a sako extractor installation on a Remington 700 bolt. With this method I am able to increase , decrease or leave the same bolt face diameter of the current bolt face. Meaning a action/bolt assembly that was originally a .308 Winchester and would like to be re-barreled to a completly different caliber can have the bolt face decreased to .223 case size or up to the larger magnum just by boring out the bolt face to your preference. The video is in 2 parts because of it's length but it shows every step I take during the process. Hope you all enjoy.

watch

watch

Kevin

Like the video a lot. I realy like seeing how you guys do this stuff. Can anything be done about the old holes from the factory extractor? I was thinking wile I was watching you were going to do the same thing with the holes as you did with the little ring in the bolt face.

I'm not sure I know which holes you mean. The factory extractor groove is bored out and the ring and silver solder fill in it's place for a clean look.

Thanks for posting this, I enjoyed it very much. Too bad it reminded me I need to get back out in the shop. I took today off work so I can finish a gun, but have not strayed far from my recliner. At least us hobby smiths can do this stuff when we want.

Cool stuff. Thanks for taking the time to video.

I think the hole ICANHITHIMMAN was referring to is the plunger hole for the ejector. Your video doesn't show you re-assembling that....and I believe you just replaced using the original parts, correct?

The ejector hole is what you ment. Yes, I just re-assembled using the original parts; spring, plunger and cross pin. I'm glad you all have enjoyed it, sorry eddybo if it reminded you of work :) This stuff is supposed to be fun, when it feels too much like work I'll probably give it up.

You are right it is all fun, sometimes I just get too much fun, or am too worn down to go have fun. That was the case yesterday. Now I am sitting in the office wishing I was in the shop:) Hopefully, I am going to retire from what I do now and have fun full time in the next few years. I never ever want to do this as a living, learned that much. I only want to do it for fun.

Thanks again for posting that video it was very informative and the quality of the videography was very good. I had never heard of that paste solder. I have to get some of that stuff.

I am guessing the dimensions of the cuts are going to vary by manufacturer of the the extractor to be installed. Do they send the dimensions when you order the part? I have a 223 bolt faced bolt that I bushed the firing pin and opened the bolt face for .308 already. So I am now ready to give my first sako extractor installation a try. So your tutorial had great timing.

I am making this as a replacement bolt for a switch barrel gun I am taking on a pdog hunt in July so I can swap my 14T 22PPC into a 8T 22-6.5x47. I probably could have just slightly opened the boltface so it would work with both but wanted to do it for the experiance.

The ejector hole is what you ment. Yes, I just re-assembled using the original parts; spring, plunger and cross pin. I'm glad you all have enjoyed it, sorry eddybo if it reminded you of work :) This stuff is supposed to be fun, when it feels too much like work I'll probably give it up.

I was lucky enough about 3 years ago, I went to an auction of a gunsmith and he had about 200 sako extractors in a bag and nobody there knew what they were. I bought the whole bag for $10. I figured out my mill depths and lengths for each caliber to these extractors. A different brand may be a little diffeent but I'll figure thatout when I burn through these. Good luck on the sako job.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.