Sako Extractor Installation Video

Kevin,I bought a few of those Sako extractors from PTG. They came with no instructions at all. I must say your video is brilliant to watch and very inspirational to say the least but I still have a few questions.

(1) What length is the slot you cut and how deep.

(2) What is the distance out to hole you drilled through the bolt body and what size drill.

(3) The hole for the plunger,is that placed in the centre,Im talking about the hole you drilled with the bolt facing vertically for the spring and plunger.

(4) What type of Silver solder is that you were using.

(5) The extractors that PTG have,are they the same as the ones that Tubb sells and Brownells also sell.

Many Thanks

Fergal- Kevin just moved and doesn't have his internet connection hooked up at his new place yet. He does check his PMs when he gets a chance. Just wanted you to know in case he doesn't get back to. He'll be hooked back up soon but may not know you posted in this thread.:)

Hi Mr White,

Since my move I'm just about back up in business, I've been doing some final electrical work today and now it's just some small stuff to put back in order. I purposely left out sizes and dimmensions as it took my alot of time to figure all that out and record it for my later use. I'll PM you with some answers but I just don't want to be giving too much information away that may take work away from me.

Hi Mr White,

Since my move I'm just about back up in business, I've been doing some final electrical work today and now it's just some small stuff to put back in order. I purposely left out sizes and dimmensions as it took my alot of time to figure all that out and record it for my later use. I'll PM you with some answers but I just don't want to be giving too much information away that may take work away from me.
I can appreciate that Kevin,but Im in Ireland so I think your safe enough on that one and Id feel the same but your help here with a PM would be great.

I can tell everyone that while Kevins video is a good one his work in hand is a thing of beauty ! I had my Rem. bolt converted over by Kevin and I can say that he is first class all the way ! Good person to do business with along with his coversion you can't go wrong !
If anyone is looking to do this you don't have to look any further Kevin is the man. The rifle I had my conversion done is for a switch barrel Rem. in the Ultra mag calibers .

gun)

I would just like to point out a few safety tips regarding these videos. In both videos at some point you use a compressed air source to blow away the metal shavings while using your other hand as a shield presumably to protect the camera lens. These particles are now considered projectiles which can and will penetrate your skin and the compressed air can also case what is referred to as air embolism. Now I wonder if you were wearing safety glasses at all for this production ? You may have been doing machining for several years this way however, this safety concern could have life threatening consequences.

I'm glad the ES&H fella posted.....caused me to see the video.

Wish my mill was as true and smooth sounding as yours.:D Mine rattles a bit....

Starter hole - that's new technology to me. I'll have to give that one a try.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Glad I stumbled onto the video.

Thanks for the safety advice. I'll be sure to confer with OSHA before I do any more work.

I just did my 30 hour OSHA refresher last week.

I'll bring over all of my guns that need work and while you work on them I'll sit there and tell you all the unsafe things your are doing.

Call it a straight across trade?:D

Yep, you better watch that little bit of air you're using to blow those shavings off as they'll kill ya sooner or later!!! I do hope you use safety glasses in the shop, but anybody that's as smart to be able to do what you do with that equipment surely does!!! As was said, if that post hadn't brought the thread TTT I'd have missed it, so thanks to the concerned poster!

Question.

By leaving the original hole that was the plunger extractor unfilled, does this weaken the bolt? Does anyone fill the hole with new steel?

Thanks,
Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.