Ruined by a Magpul Hunter and Ruger American.

USAFRet

I have amassed a few decent little rifles. Got some traditional style stocks on some. I have some ARs. I have a SIG Cross as well. However, I have one rifle that has ruined me on everything else I own. It is a lowly 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger American in in a Magpul Hunter stock. I am the most accurate with this rifle. It is not to say it is my most accurate rifle. The stock just seems to be a part of my body. When I settle in for a shot with the vertical grip, higher cheek rest, beefier forearm, the rifle just seems to not move at all and, well, it just feels right. My problem is, it has literally ruined me on all other rifles I have. 3 CVA Cascades (previously my favorite rifles), the SIG and numerous ARs that are set up for hunting. I would drop all of my rifles in the same stock or one similar, like a KRG Bravo, if I could. However, they don't make them for the CVAs and the SIG is what it is. I would literally rather shoot that rifle than any others I own.

Anyone else feel the same?

Not about the magpul or the ruger American, but there are definitely products that made me no longer use my old ones. Custom action, manners stocks, adg brass, hakins dbm.. all ruined me on others.

Remember using a heritage premier scope s friend had when they first came out. Ffp, amazing optics and the tactile quality of the dials blew my mind.

Your post caused me all kinds of problems😂 I've about had myself talked into a sig cross and never really paid attention to the magpul and now I want that too🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Your post caused me all kinds of problems😂 I've about had myself talked into a sig cross and never really paid attention to the magpul and now I want that too🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
My $.02, the SIG Cross is an outstanding rifle. However, the skeletonized stock, while great for backpacking and bugging out, leaves a lot to be desired in keeping the rifle stable while shooting. It would be much better shooting from a tripod or something. For my application, it will move to the back of the safe.
I am having a 7mm-08 built right now and it will be set into a KRG Bravo stock. To me, it's a Magpul with added features. Headed to the local shop that builds rifles today to see how much of a pain it would be to convert a stock to fit my CVA rifles. Truly, that vertical grip is a game changer for me.

My justification for the sig was as a kids rifle. I just wish they would come in a smaller cal like 6cm or similar

100%. I shot a Browning A-Bolt Stalker in 30-06 for years and it always beat me to death. Poor stock fit, poor stock design, hard materials, lots of things compounded to make it a beast to shoot. But me trying to be the good ole boy my Dad raised me to be I sucked it up and kept at it. My cousins had 7RMs and 300WMs and I figured I was just a wuss who couldn't handle the recoil, so I toted my 30-30 lever action whenever I could justify it.

Then I had my first long-range adventure with that 30-06, a 2-7x scope, and I walked out to 700 yards on my first attempt. Hooked me.

Soon after I went all in, got a full custom 6.5-284, and was ruined forever because it felt like a 22 compared to the beast. It opened my eyes to stock fit and being comfortable behind the rifle. Now I've moved everything (other than that A-Bolt) into better stocks or chassis. It was a big part of me giving up on buying "complete" rifles and instead buying actions or barreled actions. The few factory stocks I still have are generally B&C, Hogue or, McMillans that were part of a higher scale model. I have one MagPul and TBH it's not my favorite, but it's a functional stock and if it fits YOU that's all that matters.

That 30-06 is so bad I can't shoot Remington 180gn CoreLokt loads without chewing on a foam earplug because I'll get my jaw smacked shut and hurt my teeth. I have a 300 RUM with a CF barrel that weighs ~10# with the scope and I would shoot that thing any day over the 8# 30-06 from hell 🤣 Every shot is like being 9 again and my dad sneaking a 3 1/2" mag shell into the 12ga on me.

Small rant:
I also think this is a big part of why the 6.5CM got adopted so quickly. It came in low cost rifles that had better furniture than many of the old magnums. Ugly and tacky looking to be sure compared to a high gloss Monte Carlo with hand checkered grip, but it was a big upgrade for a lot of shooters on just the rifle side, caliber agnostic. It's amazing how much better people shoot on a better fitting rifle, all the more so adding in taking half the recoil in the smaller round. The same guys could have been using a 7mm-08 for the last 20 years and been better off, but the sado-machoistic magnum machine convinced so many people they need a 300WM to pop a whitetail took some time to get over. I still make jokes about the 270 being the original "women and kids" caliber and 308 Win being for wusses that couldn't handle the 30-06, but there I was hearing the same stuff from my cousins over shooting 30-06 and not a big belted magnum. 🫣 Meanwhile Pawpaw is over there laughing his tail off because he hunted whitetails with a 22LR and a flashlight :cool: All a big cycle, there's nothing new under the sun, just the next generation re-creating the wheel for the umpteenth time, and the older generation being mad because they reinvented the wheel 40 years ago.

Last edited:
I have amassed a few decent little rifles. Got some traditional style stocks on some. I have some ARs. I have a SIG Cross as well. However, I have one rifle that has ruined me on everything else I own. It is a lowly 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger American in in a Magpul Hunter stock. I am the most accurate with this rifle. It is not to say it is my most accurate rifle. The stock just seems to be a part of my body. When I settle in for a shot with the vertical grip, higher cheek rest, beefier forearm, the rifle just seems to not move at all and, well, it just feels right. My problem is, it has literally ruined me on all other rifles I have. 3 CVA Cascades (previously my favorite rifles), the SIG and numerous ARs that are set up for hunting. I would drop all of my rifles in the same stock or one similar, like a KRG Bravo, if I could. However, they don't make them for the CVAs and the SIG is what it is. I would literally rather shoot that rifle than any others I own.

They are an awesome combo and extremally accurate

The KRG Bravo and the Magpul Hunter have different grip angles. The KRG is a much more straight pistol grip while the Magpul Hunter has closer to a traditional hunting rifle stock grip. I like my KRG but I manipulate the bolt much faster with a standard rifle grip angle.

Well I bought me one of those bad boys(Ruger American's) without the Magpul stock, in 7mm PRC go wild camo stock. Just got it back from Ruger decided to put a JARD trigger in it and a Beartooth comb raising kit, when re-sighting it in shot a 3 shot 100 yard group less than 0.5 MOA, it will be a shooter when dialed in I used the federal ascent ammo for the sight in. Not my favorite but a fun shooting gun. But lets say it was my favorite while shooting until I picked up one of my other favorites.