Ruger American and Ruger American Predator???

gohring3006

I thought about putting this question in the Gunsmithing forum, but wondered if it would get much traffic as for I doubt to many gunsmiths work on these budget rifles....
I was wondering why Boyds told me the stocks are NOT interchangeable between the regular Ruger American and the Ruger American predator. I even ask if it was because the slightly bigger barrel and if I needed to open up the barrel channel on the regular Ruger American stock. They said it wouldn't work. I was wanting to know if anyone has both rifles, and why this is the case? Thanks

gohring3006, I have the RAR in 30/06 and can tell you the barrel channel is real narrow, in fact I had to open up one side were it was touching the barrel. There isn't much to the forend on the RAR. A heavy barrel, like what is on the Predator might take out the top sides of the barrel channel. I know this isn't the best answer so I'll check around and see what some of the local gunsmiths have to say and get back to ya.

gohring3006, I have the RAR in 30/06 and can tell you the barrel channel is real narrow, in fact I had to open up one side were it was touching the barrel. There isn't much to the forend on the RAR. A heavy barrel, like what is on the Predator might take out the top sides of the barrel channel. I know this isn't the best answer so I'll check around and see what some of the local gunsmiths have to say and get back to ya.

Thank you very much Sir...
I figured there might be a different bedding block set up or something else. They were pretty strait forward, and said they are not interchangeable. I just can't see Ruger coming out with a budget rifle, and spend money on different machining and tooling to make a variant of the same action....

Last edited:
gohring3006, I've checked with one of the gunsmiths I deal with and he said other than the barrel channel so long as the caliber is the same there should be no problem with changing stocks on the RAR and the Ruger Predator.

gohring3006, I've checked with one of the gunsmiths I deal with and he said other than the barrel channel so long as the caliber is the same there should be no problem with changing stocks on the RAR and the Ruger Predator.

That's what I thought..... Sometimes companies look part numbers and see they don't match up, and just say it won't work.... Auto parts companies are bad for that... I guess Boyds might be the same way...

I'm actually picking up a Ruger American predator 6.5 Creedmoor tomorrow, and I have two Boyds ProVarmint stocks, one on a Weatherby Vanguard another on a Savage 110. I love the way they fit me, and the biggest gripe about the RAP and RAR is the flimsy stock. So naturally I logged into Boyds and they don't offer it for the Predator version but they do for the RAR. I emailed them, and their response was it will not interchange. I, for the life of me, couldn't figure out why they would make two different actions for basically the same model...

Don't have words for why they don't interchange. It doesn't sound right from Boyds. Caliber, stock and what else is there.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.