Ruger precision rifle

Street price $1500 ??? Guys are picking these up for around $1000. If it performs as tested and reported it will be hard to beat for 1k. Time to start saving and selling!!

Fella I know got one yesterday. I'll post a report on here when he does. I'm down for a .338 lapua at that price and I hate Rugers.

With this design, is there anything to bed? It seems that, so long as it fits in a short action and feeds from a regular short action magazine, all you need to do to change calibers is unscrew one barrel and screw on another and headspace. Seems quite handy. I think Ruger should get a bunch of different barrels to a distributor and boost their sales. This could be a pretty fun rifle to own.

So now that Ruger's engineers don't have anything more to do with a rifle, when are they going to patent an investment cast tactical scope?

It has been reported that Ruger is not planning on producing replacement barrels. It will be interesting to see who will. If you go to Rugers site they now have a challenge posted up. They must be confident in the accuracy of this rifle to market it this way.

Kind of interesting how the have picked up on the Savage design for trigger and barrelnut. I wonder if they pay any royalties for that?

In the end, I like a lower trigger pull for a long range rifle and hammer forged barrels are usually not up to par with button and cut rifled barrels.

So... If I could get a smith to chamber and thread a good barrel for it and find a low pull weight and crisp trigger for it, I would get one.

It would be great to see Criterion or someone do some pre-fit barrels for it. Was hoping to see that for the ol Mossberg MVP, but havn't seen it.

In the end, I like a lower trigger pull for a long range rifle and hammer forged barrels are usually not up to par with button and cut rifled barrels.

Yeah, those sako cold hammer forged barrels are known for not being up to standards for long distance shooting...

I say that in jest because you are the first person I have heard that from. May I ask what you are basing that on? First hand experience?

I have heard more antidotal reports of heat induced POA/POI shift in button rifled barrels than Cut or Cold Hammer forged barrels though. Even still I'm not willing to say that they are "usually" not up to par...

Well, cut, hammer forged or button aside, factory rifles tend to suffer a poor reputation for accuracy. Savage suffers the least and maybe Ruger suffers the most. Ruger has for years produced rifles with poor accuracy. This has never been in conflict with their claims. They identified the problem with the barrels they outsourced so now they make their own. It seems that reports of accuracy have improved but I had a late model Hawkeye 338 WM that just wouldn't shoot until I changed the barrel. From the factory, there was no contact on one lug. Sooooo, All barrels, when done right can be very accurate but the outcome lies in the hands of the manufacturer to dedicate themselves to the end product. Even the best cut of meat sucks if you burn it.

Ruger has never really claimed they make an accurate rifle. Now they do. In the next few weeks and months, we'll get range reports in from the only people who matter. Customers... If the first reports from a bunch of gun writers on hand selected, factory tuned rifles don't reflect what people are buying, then the world will know it soon enough. Precision Rifle Shooters may compromise on cost but they will never compromise on accuracy and reliability and a piece of junk at any price is still a piece of junk. Ruger tends not to make outrageous marketing claims, so if they say these rifles can shoot, then I suspect they can but suspecting isn't shooting. I don't really care how they make them as long as they're reliably and consistently awesome. If I get 3 good shots and then the barrel starts walking off the target, that's junk. For now, I'm think'in these rifles are probably great but I'm more than prepared to change my mind about them and about Ruger if Customers tell me otherwise.

I can't wait.

Yeah, those sako cold hammer forged barrels are known for not being up to standards for long distance shooting...

I say that in jest because you are the first person I have heard that from. May I ask what you are basing that on? First hand experience?

I have heard more antidotal reports of heat induced POA/POI shift in button rifled barrels than Cut or Cold Hammer forged barrels though. Even still I'm not willing to say that they are "usually" not up to par...

Yea, based on first hand experience, I have rifles with all three barrel types. My hammer forged barrels walk. It's not that they can't be accurate for the first couple shots but as they heat up they walk. Hammer forging is the CHEAPEST way to MASS produce barrels. Read the history of them and you will see why.

Completive shooters use button and cut rifle barrels. Just try to find one that uses a hammer forged barrel.

Well, I'm getting a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 CM and selling my RA Predator, also in 6.5 CM.

And I hope that Ruger will later see fit to offer an RPR in long action for the .300 Win mag. If that happens I'll sell my Rem. actioned HS Precision .300 Win. mag and get the Ruger.

BTW, can you imagine an RPR in .300 Win. mag, even at a $500. premium over the short actioned RPR, competing with the likes of a civilian "version" of the Rem. Defense XM2010, one of the Sako tactical rifles, a Ballista or even the great Barrett 98? I can because I think Ruger would make sure it is accurate. Yes, the other rifles I mentioned are higher in quality in some areas but feature-for-feature The Ruger Precision Rifle is right there. And hey, you could have your own custom barrel made for, say another $800, if you felt the Ruger barrel was not quite up to snuff and still be ahead of the game price wise.
Plus I'll bet by next year there will be aftermarket triggers available for the RPR.

Jus' sayin'...

In the next few weeks and months, we'll get range reports in from the only people who matter. Customers... If the first reports from a bunch of gun writers on hand selected, factory tuned rifles don't reflect what people are buying, then the world will know it soon enough. Precision Rifle Shooters may compromise on cost but they will never compromise on accuracy and reliability and a piece of junk at any price is still a piece of junk. I'm more than prepared to change my mind about them and about Ruger if Customers tell me otherwise.

I can't wait.

Your thoughts pretty much summarize where I am coming from as well.

I like the concept, features & execution, TUBB gun but lighter, with much more customizable options.

The trigger is heavier than I would like but serviceable if anything like the Predator rifle triggers I have played with, at least until the aftermarket comes up with a replacement.

If the barrel stinks, I would still consider a Bartlien replacement, given the above, the cost would still come in below my customs.

If it does shoot, I'd probably shoot 6.5CM until I wear the throat out, and then rechamber in my 6.5SLR-S Improved...

I'd love this for hog hunting...

Yea, based on first hand experience, I have rifles with all three barrel types. My hammer forged barrels walk. It's not that they can't be accurate for the first couple shots but as they heat up they walk. Hammer forging is the CHEAPEST way to MASS produce barrels. Read the history of them and you will see why.

Completive shooters use button and cut rifle barrels. Just try to find one that uses a hammer forged barrel.
Hammer forged barrels "walk", I've been through enough of them and done testing specifically to determine how much each barrel walks and which way.

It also matches what little I know of metallurgy and the videos of the hammer forge process.

In example: Even a rimfire hammer forged barrel walks.

My latest "Ruger Rimfire" 22" barrel was a terrible "walker" first shot 2 moa high and 1/2 moa right. Each subsequent shot walked the barrel down and left in nearly perfect diagonal line until it settled. If I delayed shots to long or after target change breaks, the POI moved back up and right depending on how long the break was.

Of interest though, I cut 2 inches off the barrel, Re-crowned and pollished the crown and now only the cold bore is high by 1 moa and all the others are within 1/2 moa vertical unless I can see/feel it in the ammo. Very little "walking" to detect. It is still there but is "reasonable".

Other hammer forged barrels: 3 Vanguards, several Remington.

2 of the Vanguards were changed due to unacceptable POI shift/walking and one has very bad fouling problems leaving one of 3 hammer forged that after much tuning of rifle and load works and does not walk any more than general group opening from heat.

Other than trying to get the 300 RUM to shoot to my requirements non of the other Remington barrels have been worked for accuracy. They are just test mules for the xx-Nosler chamberings. It is obvious they "walk". Never did get the 300 RUM to shoot.

Cryogenic treatment oF a "walking" barrel comes to mind as the most likely cure from production-induces stresses. And if a hammer forged barrel isn't stressed then nothing is.:D

Of course if this doesn't work a new barrel is called for - or save your cryo money and just put it on a new barrel in the first place.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts